Author Topic: Replacement headlight assemblies  (Read 13557 times)

Jim Gill

Replacement headlight assemblies
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
I like most things about my 2006 Beaver Monterey but I have found the factory headlight assemblies to be grossly inadequate. Neither the low nor high beam modes provide adequate lighting to safely navigate the two-lane mountain roads in my "neigborhood". The factory "driving" lights are a joke...they can't be adjusted properly and since the activation of these lights is not set up to operate with the activation of the high beam lights as they should be, the operation of these lights on two-lane roads with oncoming traffic is very awkward.

So, what I am looking for are some upgraded headlight assemblies with improved lens refraction and higher wattage bulbs that will not compromise the factory wiring system. I am already in the process of upgrading the driving lights and will re-wire them to activate with the high beam headlights.

Any help with locating a source for some upgraded headlight assemblies would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:54:29 PM by 2011 »

Jay and Raylene Todd

Re: Replacement headlight assemblies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Jim,

I had the same problem, sort of ... Headlights just not putting out enough light. My initial thought was the same as yours, headlight assemblies just not enough for the coach. After reading some threads on another forum, I went to the David Stern website and followed his instructions to check the voltage drop between the battery and headlights - 5.8v!!! My headlights were putting out just under 20% of the light they should be. I have ordered some relays and will be running new heavier wires direct from the batteries to the relays & headlights that should take care of the problem.

You might check to see that the headlights are actually getting the voltage they are supposed to before you look at changing the assemblies. There are very detailed instructions on the Stern website.

Jim Gill

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
Jay
Thanks for the prompt feedback on checking the actual voltage getting to my headlights before spending any time/money on replacement assemblies.

Though he has a website, I can only assume that David Stern, the NBA Commissioner, probably doesn't know much about this subject!!! Do you have a url for the David Stern you referenced in your note.

Thanks,
Jim

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
It should be Daniel Stern and not David. I just Googled it and the headlight discussion was first. Marty

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
Oops ... yep, it's Daniel Stern. It's lucky I have Marty right across the street to keep an eye on me ...

Bruce Benson

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Had the same problem.  Was told that the Smart Wheel really increases the resistance, thus provides low voltage to the headlamps.  Beaver Coach Sales installed relays which helped quite a bit.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
...I have ordered some relays and will be running new heavier wires direct from the batteries to the relays & headlights that should take care of the problem.

What did you order and where did you order them?  Details, please.  Thanks.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
The particular kit to order depends on the style of bulb used in your headlight assembly. That is because the kit will include a new plug for the bulb contacts that will accept the heavy wire rather than the 18ga wire used by the factory. I have 9007 bulbs and so ordered the RIK-HB5 kit for $59.00.

I ordered from Danier Stern Lighting at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html  He has some very specific directions on his website for measuring voltage drop to the bulbs and also the proper procedure for aiming headlights. If you have any questions (as I did) you can e-mail him or call him directly and he will help you out.

He also suggested that the best bulbs in the market today are the Phillips Extreme Power bulbs. Having just purchased the top of the line Silver Star, I was a bit dismayed to learn that though they tout the brightest bulb, the blue tint in the glass actually cuts the lumins by quite a bit as compared to the Phillips.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Too late to be relevant, I know.  We just bought our 98 Contessa.  On the drive home, we went late one day, had to use the headlights and found the stock headlights to be very dim.  Lordco Parts, here in Coquitlam, had a set of proper headlights to retrofit the original sealed beams.  After reading this thread, I will now put a voltmeter on the wiring and see if that can also be improved.

George Harwell

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »

Same problem 03 Monterey, had 10.4 volts getting to the lights. Changed the bus power solenoid in the left front compartment and increased the voltage to 11.3. The solenoid resistance increases over the years and it shows up in the headlights. Used a WHITE RODGERS part # 70-111224 that I got on the internet. Will be shopping for the PHILLIPS bulbs now. For a guy that never drives at night at least I will be prepared.

Brad Burgess

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »
Hello All

I can't remember if I posted this here before or not but the following is an interesting web site regarding headlight deficiencies and upgrades.

Kindest Regards,
Brad Burgess

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
In reading the two most recent posts I suddenly realized that I never posted the results of my installation of the Daniel Stern remote relays and heavier wiring. My bad as I really like to see the end results of folks posts here on the forum.

I made the changes to my coach and WOW!!! What a difference! If I am running the headlights during the day on low beam (bright sunny day) I can see the reflection of my lights on the back of a semi 200 yards in front of me. Driving back to Washington last year with Marty about 1/2 mile in front of me, again during the day, he said my lights were the brightest things on the road.

I did a short drive in the very early morning (false dawn time) and the visibility was amazing. Almost enought to make me willing to drive at night ... almost, but not quite - lol.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:41 AM »
Great information, just a note on the original post. The driving lights you referred to are probably fog lights since they don't come on with the high beams.