Author Topic: Transynd changeover  (Read 6329 times)

Eric Wallace

Transynd changeover
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Is Transynd really up to $60/gallon?  That's what I'm seeing after a brief online search.  That's approaching $500 in fluid alone for complete changeover of my current Dexron.  Has anyone recently found a source offering any kind of discount?
Thanks,
Eric

Gerald Farris

Re: Transynd changeover
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
Eric,
I think that a service on your transmission will only take about 7 gallons. The last TranSynd that I purchased was about 2 years ago in Texas, and it was $30 a gallon.

Gerald

Eric Wallace

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
Thanks, Gerald.  Yes, I was counting on about 7.5 gallons, so would need to buy 8.  I saw that $30/gallon number kicked around a number of times on the forum, but I'm not finding it anywhere near that price shopping online.  I'll keep on searching...

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
When I bought some last year I think it was 38/gall with the best price at the Allison dealer.

Eric Wallace

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip on trying a dealer.  I generally seem to find dealer pricing high so hadn't checked with them.  Just checked my closest Allison distributor in Sacramento, and they're price is $46.43/gallon.  Their filter kit was also less expensive than I had been able to find online.

I'd like to use the method Gerald has written up to get more Transynd into the unit.  Someone else had previously asked which line was the one to remove for draining, but I never saw an answer.  However, on the bottom surface of the sump casting I see cast in features below the cooling lines.  Looks like they may be indicating fluid flow direction, but I'd better make sure.  I'm assuming the arrow head shape facing away from the sump is showing the line out to the cooler, and the other is an incoming "V" shape for the incoming line from the cooler.  Is that correct, so I'd remove the incoming "V" line to drain the old Dexron until I see the new Transynd running clear?  

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:37:53 AM »
I just paid $48/gallon at a United Truck Center in So. CA.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »
I assume that everyone realizes that conversion to Transynd requires a double fill-drain-fill procedure and that these quantities include that extra step?  I think they do, but mine had been switched before I bought it so I can't be sure.

Eric Wallace

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
If Gerald's method (pumping converter and cooler after the gravity drain) replaces about 27 quarts of the 29 quart capacity, that would yield about a 93% Transynd blend.  Is a second exchange necessary according to Allison?  What is their stated concentration of Transynd to use their extended service period?  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
Eric,
If you can get a 93% fluid changeover, you are good for the extended fluid change interval.

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »
I think I paid $43 a gallon at a big truck garage in Tampa, Fl when I did ours.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
Does anybody have their transmission fluid tested yearly to determine when to have it changed rather than a set miles or time period?  Is that appropriate?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »
Quote from: John Hennessey
Does anybody have their transmission fluid tested yearly to determine when to have it changed rather than a set miles or time period?  Is that appropriate?
Mine came with Transynd and always runs below 180 degrees.  Because a couple of BAC members have had engine coolant invade the transmission,  I've decided to start routine testing.  But, even if the lab picks it up, it would probably be too late.