Author Topic: Hydro hot coolant  (Read 18501 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Hydro hot coolant
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:53 AM »
Steve, I gave up and have no plans to remove it myself.  The coolant was obviously going into the unit and being pushed back out when hot so I took that as good enough.  It does not appear to be leaking.  I'm happy for now.  Thanks to all who responded.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »
I was just advised last week by an Aqua/Hydro Hot Service tech that the fluid level in the unit will drop over time due to evaporation. Provided there are no leaks in the system I should add only purified or distilled water to the expansion tank to keep the volume at the full/hot level. If one tops up the reservoir with antifreeze each time the antifreeze concentration will increase above optimal and heat transfer will be detrimentally affected. (Also the pocket book) ;)   So, unless you had a leak in the system and there was a proper concentration of water-antifreeze initially, you should have to only add water. (Same principle as adding water to the acid in the batteries).
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Orman Claxton

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 01:28:56 AM »
Wow! That is a new one, never heard that one. Something to think about!
How long it would take to evaporate water from a gallon of 50/50 mix of Propylene Glycol/Water.  8)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 03:03:26 AM »
A long, long time I would think!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
I put 50/50 in but next time I will just put distilled water.  Thanks!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »
John Carrillo (http://heatmyrv.com/)serviced our HydroHot when we were at the Ale Trail rally in Bend.  We had been having trouble with inconsistent water temperature for a couple years.  I explained that a couple other AquaHot techs had looked at the system and had not been successful.  He offered to do a thorough trouble shooting procedure, top to bottom. 

His first step was to get the water to antifreeze ratio back to specification.  He used a refractometer similar to this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Antifreeze-Refractometer-Rha-200atc-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0095DHLSW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H85837JVZ7TBGZ1ECPR

John determined that with nearly ten years of use, enough water had evaporated that my mix was out of balance and explained it was normal for more water to evaporate than ethylene glycol.  He siphoned out about a gallon of coolant and replaced it with water. 

Throughout his testing he measured the temperature of water output by running the outside shower on the pavement and aiming an IR thermometer at it.  He checked the operation of the various thermostats and valves.  It remained inconsistant.  Towards the end, he explained that the last item on the list was the stir pump that can appear to be working but can be running at partial performance.  The only way to determine the performance of the stir pump was to replace it, which solved the problem.   John explained that the only way to trouble shoot the stir pump was to verify that every other piece of the puzzle was correctly operating leaving the stir pump as the last possible weakness.

We finally got consistent hot water. 
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Orman Claxton

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
Stir Pump will likely be the cause of inefficient hot water or hot water becoming cold fast.. Stir pump can make you think it is working (feel it running) But impeller broken,
Best and simplest way is to feel both hoses, they both should feel same temperature.
Something to think about. What if your A/H does not have a Stir pump  8)

Bill Sprague

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
......Best and simplest way is to feel both hoses, they both should feel same temperature.
That's why it took two years to figure it out.  Before John Carrillo worked on it, two other techs used the touch temperature method and decided the pump was healthy.  One used an IR thermometer.  If the stir pump has become marginal the output hose can still be hot.  But, if there is not enough flow through the pump, the coolant is not "stirred" and the shower temperatures will be inconsistent.

The original stir pumps have a magnetic drive that connects the impeller to the motor.  The motor and impeller were OK.  The magnet got weak, so the motor spun but the impeller spun a lot less.   The original stir pumps apparently are not available.  John put one in that looked entirely different.  I don't know if it is magnetic or not. 
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett