Author Topic: 2006 Patriot Thunder Suspension and Leveling problem  (Read 8064 times)

paulmatasso

2006 Patriot Thunder Suspension and Leveling problem
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »
This past weekend I went to my storage building to cross a few minor repairs off the list. When I arrived the bus was listing to the passenger side but more to the rear. When I started the motor the suspension warning indicator was on. The bus did seem to come to level but I clearly have a leak somewhere. I also noticed a small amount of red fluid leaking from what appears to be a part mounted to the lower rear passenger side of the motor.(not sure if this is related or a secondary problem) This is the first leak I have found, since owning the bus for about a year. Before I take it to the repair shop I would like to know if anyone has run into a problem like this one. I dumped the air before leaving last night, I hope there is no long term problem storing in this fashion.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: 2006 Patriot Thunder Suspension and Leveling problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »
My hydraulic tank is Starboard side rear corner (R/R) and I remember it being a reddish color.  That may be a hydraulic leak.  My coach was leaning hard to port when I came out after being away for a few days.  That was a jack That had apparently come down on it's own, but when air came up it straightened out.  The leak finally got bad enough (after hitting a road gator) that I heard it and fixed it.  No problem since.  Not sure if connected or not but sure seems to be.  Hope this helps.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »
Paul,

On mine I had a air switch and a solenoid on one of the rear HWH manifold blocks which there are two. I put a oring kit in the solenoid and replaced the air switch. To get parts for HWH systems get in touch with Stuart's http://rvleveling.com/HWH-leveling-systems.html

I always dump the suspension with I park the coach in storage or at any level RV camp site for that matter, sometime these things will act goofy, mine has so I just do a complete shut down batteries off and restart all and the systems is fine again.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
Hello Paul we have had a few leaks on our 06 PT, the first time did require a replacement of the main pump the leak was very small, the pump did drip a weep hole at the pump location. You can plug the hole but will need to replace the internal seal if this is the leak location. You should be able to see the leak if you can get under the rig.

We did try to get a new pump but had to use a rebuild it had worked great for about 4 years then last year it really cused us a major problem. 

I have also had issues at the slide reservoir (located at the front steps) with leaking solenoids after changing the seals we have not had furthers issues at this location.

Recently we had a major failure with the main hydraulic pump this required the replacement of both the main pump and the power steering pump, cooling fan and the Danforth wax values (3 of these)  we plan to test all the new systems next week as we head to Branson on the shake down run.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

paulmatasso

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen,

Lee,
How did you diagnose the issue/which parts needed replaced? Did you do the work yourself?

Jerry,
Sorry I need to check the manual, but does the hydraulic pump operate with the leveling system or is this a secondary problem to the level issue i am experiencing?

Thanks Paul
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:23:07 PM by Paul Matasso »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
Paul the main pump and Power steering pump will only run with the engine, both are geared to the engine. the level system HWH is electric the Air side on our PT is just in front of the passenger side driver wheels. This was poorly designed as compressor would fail from the road grim filling the open windings of the electric motor. I change mine to a Viair 380 pump.

I think the Jack run off the same Hydraulic motor as the slides. If you have red Hydraulic fluid around the engine it would be from the main pump/steering pump/cooling fan they all use the common reservoir located at the back engine compartment.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

paulmatasso

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Thanks Jerry,

My coach doesnt have the jacks, just HWH. After some investigating this weekend i noticed the pop up indicator on the Hydraulic filter mount was up indicating change needed. I ordered a replacement and will change next week.

Then i will start to hunt down my air leak with a spray bottle and some soapy water.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:01:16 PM by Paul Matasso »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen,

Jerry,
Sorry I need to check the manual, but does the hydraulic pump operate with the leveling system or is this a secondary problem to the level issue i am experiencing?

Thanks Paul
Paul,
It was a secondary problem that has not reoccurred.  I didn't notice the jack down because when it went into travel mode it leveled out and drove fine.  When the small air system leak made itself known after sitting a few days and the coach sank, the jack caught and one side looked higher.  I chased my tail for awhile on that one.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH