Author Topic: Awning Stitching  (Read 7328 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Awning Stitching
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:54:17 AM »
Just noticed that one awning topper has lost the thread on one end (again). it was just replaced last year for the same problem under warranty. aaarrrgghhhh!!

I do not want to have to pay several hundred dollars to replace it as the awning is still in good condition. Does anyone have any suggestions for a repair ie some sort of glue that will work -or- hand sewing it with a stronger material like fishing tackle.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Ken 2007 Contessa
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:04:19 AM by 14 »
BAC members since 2006

Gerald Farris

Re: Awning Stitching
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »
Ken,
If you have Carefree of Colorado Awnings, I think that the problem with the stitching is a common complaint. I think that several owners have re-sewn the seams themselves. You will need to remove the fabric to re-sew the the seams on a sewing machine or by hand, but only use a UV-resistant thread.  

Tim commented in the thread (http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1264111473/) about water drains for the Carefree awnings that he had already had his awnings off to re-sew the seams, so he may be able to help with some advise.

Gerald

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
Ken,

We had the same problem on our old coach.  I simply applied good fabric glue inside the end seam and clamped it until dry.  The glue dries colorless and cannot be seen.  It actually lasted longer than the original stitching.  It was still going strong when we got our new coach.

Good luck.

Tim

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Quote from: Tim Westman
Ken,

We had the same problem on our old coach.  I simply applied good fabric glue inside the end seam and clamped it until dry.  The glue dries colorless and cannot be seen.  It actually lasted longer than the original stitching.  It was still going strong when we got our new coach.

Good luck.

Tim
Where do you buy "fabric glue"? Is there a brand?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
Hi Ken
I did a hand seam on the large awnings  on our old coach and never had an issue again if your going to be at Harrisburg I have tools( stopped at a saddle shop ) and thread available, I would be glad to offer them to you.

Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
I had my awning topper resewn in the Pensacola area at a high quality canvas shop. These fabrics see a lot of sun and the cheap thread that Carefee used deteriorates long before the fabric materials as we all have experienced. The shop I used has had a lot of experience with custom boat canvas and sail work and the only thread that they found that really holds up to the sun and heavy use is kevlar. If you decide to pull the awning topper and get all the seams restiched once, they will last the life of the fabric, if you find a shop that will use Kevlar thread. It will cost extra but the labor is the main expense and well worth the trouble and expense even if they have to order it.

later Ed

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:47:10 AM »
Tim, do you have a brand name for the fabric glue and a place to purchase it. That would be very helpful. Jerry, sorry we cannot make Harrisburg but thanks for the offer.

I will do an online search for canvas shops and maybe get some verbal info. Sounds to me like  hand sewing it may be the way to go, since I am not going to attempt to remove the canvas although others have said its fairly easy. Those folks have never seen me with a tool. LOL.

Thanks to all for all the advise.

Ken 2007 Contessa.
BAC members since 2006

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
Ken I am not sure if you have a Tandy shop in your area but this is the Tac shop that I purchased the tools from and the thread, be sure to tell them that this is an outdoor awning they will get you a good thread, FYI it takes a lot of hand pressure to push the needle so wear a glove!
The job can be done on both sides in a couple of hours find some shade and good luck

Regards, Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »
try using a very small drill bit in an electric drill......tip from my sailmaker!!!     Jeremy