Author Topic: Generator repair  (Read 4517 times)

Culver Miller

Generator repair
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:53:33 AM »
I have a 1987, 40 ft,  Beaver Marquis, with an onan generator that quit during the night.  The repair shop got it running but in doing so instead of 120 volts going to each of the two legs, A & B, all 240 volts went to leg B.  It blew out the rear TV, converter, microwave, and power panel.  My question is:  is there an automatic switch which separates the two legs when the generator is running or is it possible that in reinstalling the generator the shop connected everything to leg B?
The shop owner has been very, very nice and said that they will take care of it if it was their error.  I'm just happy to get it repaired and would just like some information to help them repair it correctly.
Thanks for any help
Culver Miller
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:35:15 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Dale Walker

Re: generator repair
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:25:26 AM »
I'm sorry, I can't speak with any authority about how that happened, but I do know enough to know that if was working before it died, and after "fixing" it it blew everything up, somebody made a terrible mistake.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:13:54 AM »
Culiver,
There is no automatic switch. It sounds like a mis-wire in hooking up the generator. There should be 3 key wires running from the generator to the transfer relay; a red and a black which each carry 125v and a white which is ground. There may also be a green ground wire. These probably go through a junction box between the generator and the transfer relay. My guess would be that they may have hooked up the ground wire to a 125v output and a 125v output to ground. I would have expected that it would have blown the circuit breakers in the AC dist panel too. When they think they have it repaired, be sure to have all the AC breakers off and check the voltages at the box.
Have you checked your inverter? It may also have been damaged.
Good luck,
Steve
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:15:49 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »
                      Culver,

I agree with Steve, if it was mis-wired and they switched neutral and 120volt wires the damage may go deeper than what is apparent. Any device with a PC board is at risk. Make sure you check all support systems by a qualified RV tech. If that is what happened, from my experience the TV's, sat reciever, both air conditioners, inverter, refer, microwave and transfer switch may be compromised. Sorry you are going thru this. Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Culver Miller

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
Thanks for all your input.  I will pass it on to the shop  My first time to post, wow what fast replies.  It's great

john brunson

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
I am new to the motor-home repair hobby, but i feed myself working on communications equipment.  Each site has a generator to make power during storms etc..  the generator was not reconnected correctly; most likely the neutral was left open.  Read in other forums about 50 amp RV service connections and surge suppressors. 

Yeah, the repair guys have an insurance claim and a mess to clean up.  Be POSITIVE that EVERYTHING is demonstratively working before you settle.  Also, its gonna take some time to straighten out.  It may be easier to let your insurance fix it and then they can subrogate the claim.