Author Topic: Different values of voltage on each leg of 220V.  (Read 5226 times)

Tom Fisher

Different values of voltage on each leg of 220V.
« on: October 28, 2015, 03:04:43 AM »
Will different voltages,ie 1 leg 118 volt and other leg 128 volt, cause the 2005 Beaver Montery surge protector to cut out, or the xantrex RS 2000 Inverter/charger to shut down? I switched to 30amp and reset the xantex and everything seems to be working. Would like to hook back up to 50 amp but nervous about different leg voltages cause real damage to systems.
Thankyou
Tom

Lee Welbanks

Re: Different values of voltage on each leg of 220V.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
Will different voltages,ie 1 leg 118 volt and other leg 128 volt, cause the 2005 Beaver Montery surge protector to cut out, or the xantrex RS 2000 Inverter/charger to shut down? I switched to 30amp and reset the xantex and everything seems to be working. Would like to hook back up to 50 amp but nervous about different leg voltages cause real damage to systems.
Thankyou
Tom

Usually a surge protector is set to cut off at around 130/132 or so on the high side and 104 on the low side. How are you reading the voltage could the voltage actually be higher, I have seen park voltage all over the place but usually on the low side not high.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:34 AM »
110V to 124.5V Pacific Gas and Power uses as the standard utilization spec. Short duration excursions from 106 to 127V are also considered acceptable if infrequent. So the 128V is out of range for this power company spec. The 128V in itself will probably not damage anything but your surge protector or Xantrex may not accept it. If the surge protector cuts out then I would stay on 30 amp service. I assume that the 30amp breakr is on the 118V leg. If you are in a campground you may want to report this issue, the power company has transformer taps they can change to adjust the voltage within spec.

Later Ed

Tom Fisher

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:18 AM »
I was reading the voltage on each leg of the 220 volt  with the Aladdin system and I also plugged in a surge protector , that indicates the voltage on each leg, directly to the park pedestal. They both indicated up to a 10 volt difference between the two legs. I didn't trust it so I kept on the 30 amp circuit for the night. We  have since headed down the road, and the park we are in tonight has only a one volt difference between the two legs. Plugged in and have had no shut downs or any problems. I still feel a 10 volt difference between the two legs caused my surge protector and/or the xandex 2000 inverter to shut down. Anyway, it looks like the Beaver shut down before there was any damage done to components.
Thank you all for your responses. The BAC forum is sure a plus!
Tom