Author Topic: Anyone using a Pyrometer on a C-9?  (Read 6958 times)

Dale Walker

Anyone using a Pyrometer on a C-9?
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:57:09 AM »
I think I explained what happened on our trip out to AZ, in Oct? To recap, it blew the intake hose from the turbo, to the CAC off, simple fix, but the one thing that still bothers me is the exhaust gas temp. On a long pull, this thing reachs 1400 degrees, has anyone else had experience with their C-9 and EGT's? Today, I went to Freightliner, to purchase a couple new OEM clamps, so I asked them what they thought. They said they wasn't sure, but that I should keep a close watch on it. What kind of an answer was that? What troubles me is how many guys are out there, sailing along, and don't have a clue how hard they are cooking their engines?

BTW, Caterpillar wanted $28.80 for the clamp, Freightliner, today, charged me, $7.60! LOL!!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Anyone using a Pyrometer on a C-9?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Dale, the temp you are talking is not out of place. One suggestion we talk and compare
prices between different dealers this is ok in some ways but be careful. I been running into
several owners that buy electrontic engine sensor ( after market ) that compounds repairs
and to correct problem they have to buy correct Cat part from a Cat dealer. This also happens
with fuel filters and water temp regulators. Install a pyrometer is something that is your liking
but the Cat C-9 has fail safe in place with ECM to derate engine or shut engine down.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dale Walker

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »
Dave, thanks for the reply. When I went to the Cat dealer, they didn't have any of those clamps, but the  gal behind the counter wrote down the part number and told me to go to Freightliner and give them that number. That's just what he did, and brought me those clamps!LOL!!₩

Dale Walker

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:39:01 AM »
Dave, what happens if the C-9 goes into "derate" , or engine shut-down? Sorry, I know what it means, what is the procedure to get her up an running again? It will have to cool down, I know, but will something else have to be done to get it running again??

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Dale, Maybe I can explain this first. We need to understand when a problem is triggered and light
comes on Dignostic codes have two states, first active code,  second logged. Active code indicates
that a active problem has been detected and requires immediate attention. Note: always service
before servicing logged codes. Logged codes are stored in permanent memory of the ECM and
are logged. Logged codes may not indicate repairs are needed. Problem may be temporary. If the
system is powered, it is possible to generate an active code whenever component disconnected .
When component is reconnected the code is no longer active. Very useful in troubleshooting
Problems. Then comes what is called an Event code, which is triggered by detection of abnormal
engine opening conditions and will reset itself when problem goes away ( like reset a breaker ).

Engine Monitoring on dash, one of the following actions will happen if an event occurs. Warning,
The warning lamp will stay on while event is happening.  Derate, the warning lamp will flash
while event is occurring and engine power will derate.  Shutdown, the warning lamp will flash
event is occurring and engine will be shut down. If multiple derated are active, derate that limits
the most power will be the derate that is shown. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dale Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:34:26 AM »
Thanks, Dave. What brought me to that question, is a friend bought a class C, with a Mercedes diesel in it, and one of the things that I thought was kind of odd was, if the "check engine" light came on, it would let you start it 10 times, then you'd better be in the garage, or you were walkin'. LOL!! When I was going through my owners manual, everybody does that, right? One of the items that was suggested to carry as a spare is the clamp for the CAC hose connection? I laughed out loud, is there something we should all know about?? LOL!!???

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »
Hi Dale
I have a c13 and I put in a pyrometer last year just to keep an eye on the steep climbs works great flat cruising it reads about 700-750 on hills 1200 to 1400 it is more of a safety device for the hot weather can't hurt you.

Regards

Paul 2006 Thunder
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »
Paul & Dale, research  install a pyrometer on a Cat C-9 there is a big difference between
The two engines. The Cat C-13 is a different fuel setup than the C-9 and packs a lot more fuel
through the engine by using the electronic fuel injectors and twin turbochargers that also will
come into play. Yes the C-13 need close watch on engine temperature as there has been many updates on the twin turbo setup. The C-9 only has one turbo and does not have the heat problem
and put less fuel through engine. The biggest problem with C-9 is the constant fuel flow from
fuel tank up front over time. What ever you install would have to be a aftermarket setup because
Cat does not list pyrometer for C-9 engine. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dale Walker

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 05:17:55 AM »
The pyrometer I installed is an auto-meter. I have installed them on 4 different farm tractors, and have never have one not work. I was concerned about the temperatures my C-9 was running but all of service people I have talked to, raised their eyebrows, but said it should be fine. I did relate about blowing the clamp on the hose to the CAC. When I was going through the owners manual one of the things they suggest to carry is another T-bolt clamp? I have 2 now, but don't know if I should put them on, I have 3 regular hose clamps, and they seem to be fine.