Author Topic: DRIVE AXLE BRAKES  (Read 4412 times)

JOHN KAMP

DRIVE AXLE BRAKES
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
HAVING TO HAVE A DRIVE WHEEL REMOVED TO REPLACE A DEFECTIVE ABS SENSOR REVEALED A BADLY WORN ROTOR. FURTHER DIS-ASSEMBLY REVEALED A PAD WORN TO THE METAL(THE OTHER PAD ON THIS ROTOR WAS LIKE NEW). SEEING THIS, THE DECESION WAS MADE TO CHECK THE OTHER SIDE. IT TOO WAS EXCESSIVELY WORN AND THE ROTOR HAD TWO CRACKS IN IT. FULL DIS-ASSEMBLY OF THE BRAKING SYSTEM REVEALED THAT THE GUIDE PINS WERE CORRODED, CAUSING THE CALIPERS TO HANG-UP AND DRAG. ALSO, THE (2)  FITTINGS ON THE CALIPER HOUSING HAD NEVER BEEN GREASED, NOT ALLOWING THE PADS TO "FLOAT" AS REQUIRED. HAVING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM DOWN, IT WAS DECIDED TO REPLACE ALL BEARINGS,RACES, AND SEALS, IN ADDITION TO NEW PADS,ROTORS, AND GUIDE PINS. BOTTOM LINE;;$3200+. THE GUIDE PINS THEMSELVES COST $450! ACCORDING TO THE TECHNICIAN AT TRUCK CENTERS(FREIGHTLINER) THE WHEELS SHOULD BE REMOVEDE EVERY 2 YEARS AND THE GUIDE PINS LUBED WITH NEVER SEIZE. I MAKE THIS POSTING, HOPING IT HELPS OTHERS AVOID THIS PROBLEM.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:10:01 AM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: DRIVE AXLE BRAKES
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks, This is good to know...
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
Sorry for the problem and thanks for the sharing.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:14:21 AM »
John,
Please go to the member center of the Forum, under personal profile ad your signature line with information about the year and model of your coach.  Next time you post that info will be available for us to see.  This problem may be specific to certain rear axles.  The 2000 to 2002 Marquis had this problem with the ArvirMeritor axle.  Thank you for the warning.

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
The maintenance list in the back of our Magnum chassis book suggests every two years for the caliper rail lube.  
Just prior to the trip to Redmond we had a truck shop look at the front.  They lubed these for me but under duress as the said the grease would collect dirt and thus inhibit the movement of the caliper.  They seriously did not want to do the rear.
At a shop in Oregon we stopped for an opinion and they showed me a rotor from a unit with draging calipers.  This was worn so thin that it was hard to pick up without cutting your hands on the edge.
A few minutes with a wire brush and a little silicone grease is all it takes and I noticed the difference right away.
It isnt just power or fuel or even money you are saving.  Draging brakes dont cool.

Hey Gerald, thanks again for your time on this one.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!