Author Topic: Total Power loss no 120V no 12V, Help!  (Read 9719 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Re: Total Power loss no 120V no 12V, Help!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
Just got the word back from the RV service center that is diagnosing our inverter issue. Our massive short was the result of fusing an outlet on the kitchen circuit with a space heater. The outlet has been replaced. The system works fine now on shore power with all systems go, but the inverter is what the tech described as the "pass through" system and is showing an open ground within the inverter itself. When the inverter is ON the system works fine, residential fridge, TV's, et al., but it shows an open ground. Like others I have talked to about this, I have always left the inverter ON, even when traveling. They are suggesting I NOT do that because the inverter isn't made to bounce down the road (I'm worried about frozen food defrosting) and just leave it off if I am going to be plugged into shore power when I stop. To my way of thinking I have an inverter to supply 110v when I am not on shore power and I should be able to use it at will. According to the tech we should be fine in all instances except when we are running ultra sensitive equipment, like a 4K TV or sensitive computer, in which case we might be at risk for surge or grounding issues. They are concerned about the open ground issue, but are thinking that it may have been that way all along.
I remember talking with Rob at Sun Bum RV in Yuma about a bundle of neutral wires in a junction box under the inverter and he shook his head and indicated that it was a funny way to wire up the system and that it was common to that time period, but he wouldn't do it that way.
At this time it is my choice to replace the existing inverter, which will apparently fix the open ground issue, or leave things as they are, figuring everything was the result of the fused outlet (short to ground) and cross my fingers and trundle down the road.
Finally, he also insists that both the coach batteries and the chassis batteries, which were not charging properly before all this happened, are now charging on shore power.  I did replace the echo charger, but the chassis batteries still did not charge properly, so I don't know what corrected that problem.

My question is: is an open ground within the inverter a common situation for the Trace 2500 the way it was installed by Beaver or is a new inverter installation at about $3700 warranted?