Author Topic: Hydraulic Filter change  (Read 4162 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Hydraulic Filter change
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »
I  need to figure out what the filter is for my 2001 Beaver Contessa  and how to change it. The only thing the hydraulic system is used for now is the living room slide as the jacks are gone and the lines are capped.

Also the fluid was changed in the tank when the conversion was done, just the filter was never changed. I guess this is the filter in the right rear of the coach, the 5" or so round black one that looks like fun to remove?

Steve, any ideas?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hydraulic Filter change
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:16:29 AM »
LaMonte,
I never changed mine so can't comment.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Edward Buker

Re: Hydraulic Filter change
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
LaMonte,

Typically that tank with the filter was used for the hydraulic radiator fan if you have that configuration and the power steering. The slide usually had an electric driven pump with a small reservoir of its own. There is limited use and no heat source so unless you suspect contamination of some kind there is probably no need to change that fluid.

The rear tank with the filter may have been an LHA15-10. I did some research and if you have thet filter it crosses to a Donaldson 551551. It is the best of the bunch when compared to WIX, Napa Gold, Fleetguard etc. Donaldson bought out LHA a number of years ago.

I converted my fluid to Transynd following Gerald's lead with the thinking that I would probably never change it again. It took about 4 gallons. Transynd is not a necessity but the fluid life and lubricating qualities are superior.

I drained the fluid by drilling a hole in the filter bottom and using a funnel around the filter with a hose on it that ran down to a reservoir on the ground. I used a wire to hold the funnel in place, running it around the filter housing. In this link is a photo of my drain arrangement. Ignore all the info about adding a gauge, that did not work out.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5197.msg38808.html#msg38808

Not sure this is all pertinent to your coach but some info may help. The funnel drain system made this easy and it went better then I thought it would.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell