Author Topic: Scheduled maintenance/ service by time and miles  (Read 3218 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Scheduled maintenance/ service by time and miles
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
I am drafting my maintenance/service list for a May service.
Our RV has been parked in one location for 2 years. Not sure if time or miles is more important in replacing/servicing the following;

Fuel Filters                 5 K miles since replaced       Date 7/2014
Water Separator        5 K miles since replaced       Date 7/2014
Air Dryer                   10 K miles since replaced     Date 11/2012
Service PAC brake      9 K miles since service        Date 11/2012
Coolant filter               9 K miles since replaced      Date 11/2012
Hydraulic Filter           16 K miles since replaced    Date 5/2011
Power steering filter    9 K miles since replaced     Date  11/2012

Is a Truck Service Center ( like Sacramento Truck Center in CA.) equally qualified to do the above service as say BCS in Bend ?

Any advice or information on scheduled miles or time for service/replacement would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Roy C Tyler

Re: Scheduled maintenance/ service by time and miles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:41:18 AM »
I have my maintenance done locally at Pacific West Cummins in Redding.  They go by the book and I have been very happy with the service I have received.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:39 AM »
Darrell
I prefer to do all the maintenance that I can myself and save money to go on shop repairs when needed.
Chassis lube I have done but it much easier for the shop with a pneumatic lube gun.  Know your chassis and dont be afraid to ask to make sure they got all points.  A shop has missed  some zerks on our 3126B Pat.. I had it checked and it had never been lubed.

Fuel filters yearly regardless.  I use Cat filters and there is ample info on this forum about replacing them.

The water / coolant filter adds SCS to the system to prevent cavitation.  If you have converted to CAT extended life then you bypass this filter.  I take our coach to a radiator shop and they flush the system clear to the front for about $50 and the cost of the CAT coolant.

The air dryer is likely the Haldex brand.  If the air system builds pressure in a couple minutes and the pressure release goes off its working.  A rebuild requires a kit and a partial might mean just a heater or filter.  Our manual said be sure the exhaust port is not plugged as this is common.  If the exhaust releases over and over rapidly its time to service.

The Pac Brake requires at least yearly service but all that is necessary is to lube the selenoid shaft and the butterfly joint.  There is a Pac Brake lube spray but I have also used slide lube in a pinch.  The manual said non silicon lube only as I recall.
The hydraulic filters are every 2 years ...ish
I note you didnt mention an oil change but I use a CAT extra fine filter and blended synthetic oil.  Yearly!

Hope this helps some!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks for your responses