Author Topic: Roof AC unit for my 2001 Contessa?  (Read 2527 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Roof AC unit for my 2001 Contessa?
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
Well, went out to the RV earlier today and found it hot inside. I keep one air on always set to 83. It was 89 inside.

I checked the new thermostat and it is functioning properly it seems. Turned the ac off then back on auto and lowered temp to 80. It started up normally but when the compressor kicked in it was horrendous noise and went back off. I tried this twice with the same response.

This ac has never been replaced as far as what paperwork I have from the previous owners. The rear was replaced in 2006.

I just had appendix surgery last Sunday so no lifting for me at all, but I have a great Mobile guy that I hope does ac replacements.

Just wondering what ac I will need for replacement?

I have Dometic 13500 BTU with no heat pumps. Front one has a new lcd thermostat and control box kit.

I am not worried about replacing it but want to have the right one installed. The one now has always been loud. Hoping for a quieter replacement!

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
Re: Roof AC unit for my 2001 Contessa?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
Lamonte:

Since I'm not familiar with your coach's A/C layout, could you provide a few more details, like:

- Location of the failing unit: front, middle (if there is one) or rear
- number of zones, number of individual thermostats, and number of 13.5K A/C on each zone
- What models of Dometic 13.5K A/Cs do you currently have installed: Brisk, Penguin II, etc?   
- are your current A/Cs ceiling ducted or non-ducted?  Assume ducted for now.

What's most important to you in your replacement search, and how would you rank the following in terms or priority to you?
- best cooling performance (most BTUs) for the new unit; shorter run times, etc regardless of practical cost or looks?   Would you be interested in going to a higher 15K BTUs unit, if the cost was right?
- cheapest unit cost, regardless of performance or looks
- quietest, regardless of performance or looks
- ease of installation: assuming that you still have old 5 button Dometic CCC thermostats and how/if new digital LCD thermostats will have to be retrofitted back to work with existing analog Dometic 13.5K A/Cs via control unit change outs, etc?
- Looks of the new unit: does the replacement Dometic unit need to visually match the existing Dometic A/C units on the roof of your coach: I.E.: could the replacement be a different shape; height, etc?   E.g.: Domestic has a new model, NXT, out since last Oct 2016 that is more streamlined than the Brisk, supposedly their most efficient, but also still taller than then older Penguin II models, so the new unit still looks "different" than either of the older Brisk or Penguin II models..

I'm sure that are also a few other decision points to consider in the replace A/C trade study space.

2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Roof AC unit for my 2001 Contessa?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
Hey Bryan,

I have a great local mobile rv repair guy coming by today to diagnose the  ac unit.

I just had surgery a week ago so no lifting or climbing for me yet.

Its the original dometic unit that the issue is with so  will know soon enough.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl