Author Topic: Norcold Recall  (Read 11153 times)

Gerald Farris

Norcold Recall
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
I was just notified by a fellow BAC member that Norcold has expanded it's propane refrigerator recall. All of the 1200 LRIM series refrigerators, regardless of the serial number, are now affected by the recall. This unit was in a lot of Beavers, so check your model number if you have a propane refrigerator.

Gerald

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Norcold Recall
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »
Thanks Gerald! I will be checking on this.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:12:02 AM »
What exactly do they do to the 1200?  What parts are replaced?  Thanks.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:15:25 AM »
The Norcold website is http://www.norcoldrecall.com/.

Where it says:
"Models 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211
1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211, 4 door refrigerators with cooling unit serial numbers ranging from 700000 to 13085759.

These refrigerators were installed as original equipment in vehicle model years 1997 to 2010. Other recalled refrigerators may have been purchased as replacement during the same period."

Randy Perry

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:23:43 AM »
Yea, I called Norcold, told them my serial number etc, etc, they gave me a "Recall number" I then called the Camping World near me and told them I have a Norcold recall unit, gave them my "Recall number" set up a date to perform the recall parts replacement, they called Norcold, Norcold sent them the replacement parts, I arrived for my recall replacement parts appointment, and bingo, I was good!! They (Norcold) did (finally) send me a $50 gas card as promissed!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »
Glad my rig came with a Dometic.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
I just got another recall notice in the mail over the weekend.  Our rig has already been in twice for two different recalls.  The last being done this summer.  Is there a 3rd recall now or is this just a paperwork snafu?  This one says "High Temp Sensor" installation.  Thanks, Mike

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
Mike,
I think that this is a new recall. They are adding over-temp cutouts to cut off the burner, in case the cooling unit fails, as a fire prevention, if your unit does not already have one.

Gerald
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:15:40 AM by 14 »

Bill Johnson

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:04:39 AM »
I just talked with a person at the Norcold recall center who told me that this is, indeed, a new recall and is not related to the recall they had a couple of years ago.  No $50 gas card this time.  As before, they have a list of "authorized" service centers and mobile service providers.  They also will consider other service techs with prior-authorization.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:20:33 AM »
Gerald,you can add this to the list   http://www.azrvinc.com/Dometic%20Recall.asp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »
Mine didn’t qualify for the older recalls, but did for the newest one.  

I tried and failed to figure out exactly what the recall involved before I ordered it.  When I started, I thought it was an extension to more units of the old recall.  Not so.  This one is new and different.  I think it covers every single Norcold 1200 four door model.  Maybe others.  Here is my version of what it appears to be and what it takes to get it done.  

I called a nearby RV shop that was listed on the Norcold website.  I gave them all the numbers from the motorhome and fridge.  They ordered the kit.  I did not communicate with Norcold myself.  When the recall kit arrived they phoned me to make a service appointment.

The kit is a black box about half the size of a deck of cards.  Out of the box comes four wires.  One goes to ground.  Another has a thermocouple on the end that goes under the insulation on the exhaust stack.  The two remaining wires break into the 12 volt power supply wire to the fridge circuit board.  It appears the idea is to terminate all 12 volt power to the board if there is an over heat condition sensed at the stack.  

The connections are standard spade terminals.   The installer unplugged the power supply wire at the board and plugged in the black box “power out” wire to the board.  Then he plugged the old power supply wire into the black box “power in” wire.   The little black box has a spring clip on the back and is hooked (or “clipped”) to a convenient and exposed spot on what I think is part of the cooling coil.  

The result is that you have a cheap looking and loosely attached automatic switch in the power supply to the circuit board that will turn off your very expensive looking fridge if the stack gets too hot or the new black box switch fails somehow.   It will probably overheat on some hot day when your fridge is woking as hard as it can to keep your beer cold while it make ice cubes for your martinis.  There is no reset button.  If an “over heat” condition is sensed you fridge will quit completely.  There will be no power to the circuit board at all.  There will be no coldness, indicator lights or anything else.  It will simply be dead without any trouble shooting lights.

If you thing there is nothing really wrong and that the new overheat sensor is faulty, you can unplug the black box and plug the original power lead back into the circuit board.  All the connections are visible and accessible.  You might need needle nose pliers to do it.

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:04:08 AM »
Well another great product that was dumped on us Beavers.  This expensive refridge, by Norcold had a recall , so a cut-off switch was installed mainly to cover their butt. Well so what happened? The damn thing turned off my fridge.  So I had to disconnect it and reconnect the wires to get it running. Called Norcold, and was informed, if the red light was on that the safety switch had gone bad.  I asked for a new safety switch, but they will only send it to a repair center.  So now do I just leave it disconnected, or spend more time and money to get this reinstalled?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:51:38 AM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:08 AM »
Bummer Tom!! I have not had the recall performed on mine and don't think I will. It works great without it and I did have a fire extinguishing system installed in the burner box so I think I will take my chances.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

John and Judy Gardner

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
I am on my 3rd recall switch, the last time I had Elite Mobile RV Service in Eugene do the fix. He thought the sensor was installed to close to the flame. Moved it up, refer has been working fine ever since.

Elite is a couple of guys Monaco laid off and they started a Mobile RV Service. Great guys and service.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
I can say Amen to that John, They did some work for me and they were excellent. I will be using them again when I am in the Eugene area.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine