Author Topic: Rear AC replacement  (Read 2370 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Rear AC replacement
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »
Rear AC replaced (locked rotor). Shop having trouble getting all three zones working. Our Beaver has two AC, one front, one rear. Each operate by their own 5 button tstat. Front AC is zone 1. Rear AC is zone 2, and AquaHot (AH) at vanity. Zone 3 is AH in bedroom. Shop replaced rear AC w/new Penguin and new CCC2 tstat. I checked operation and zone 2 worked fine, AC came on and AH worked in vanity. CCC2 would not show zone 3. Shop now says I need another 'control board'. On another forum, I learned that this additional control board is hooked up to the AH and is not located in the AC itself, but somewhere else in the coach. Does all this sound reasonable? Where might this additional control board be located? Shop has had the coach for over a month now, not happy. Thanks guys!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Rear AC replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:18:56 PM »
Bill,
If the AH worked with the old Duo Therm t'stats, it should work with the CCC2 stats. In looking at the manuals I don't see any reason that Z3 should not be displayed. The stat can display up to 4 zones. It's possible that the installers don't have the switches configured correctly as they have to have Furnace and Zone 2 & 3 selected on the electronic control box located in the rear AC, if I understand the install manual correctly. (The CCC2 can handle up to 4 zones). This doc may help.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwih-aGbxrTVAhUEjVQKHXIPDQIQFghEMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbryantrv.com%2Fdocs2%2Fdocs%2Foperating%2FInstallation_CCC2%2520with%2520separate%2520control%2520box_3312792.017.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF5pkb1zMW4d6txFyQwXpFN6639vw
If the AH works for zone 2 (vanity), it should work for zone 3 (bedroom) once the t'stat is set up correctly.
I'd ask the shop to specifically clarify why the the zones worked with the old t'stats (assume they were Duo-therm Comfort Control 5 button) and not with the CCC2 stats.
Good Luck!
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Rear AC replacement
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Here is the scoop on Penguin AC; Each 'zone' is actually either an AC unit OR Aqua Hot (Furnace) if equipped. Tstats 'talk' to each zone via RJ-11 cable and each zone will operate AC, furnace, heat pump as programmed by DIP switches on each zones 'board'. The Aqua Hot has its own 'board' and zone in my case, and thus the board has to be compatible with the new 10 button tstat, which is also compatible with the new Penguin AC unit. Tstat and zone boards have to be compatible with the AC unit installed. The Aqua Hot board has a blue wire pair that terminates at the board and switches the AH on or off as the tstat commands. Kind of an intensive way to get a contact closure to operate a device, but that's what Dometic did, so if you have to replace your older AC unit with a new PenguinII, you need to 1) use a compatible tstat (CCC2) AND 2) replace the AH board with a CCC2 compatible board. Clear as mud.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."