Author Topic: bay leak  (Read 3981 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
bay leak
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »
This fall is the first I've noticed water on the floor of my electrical bay, streetside front.  I dried it out once, but now the carpet is soaked again in there.  The coach hasn't moved for a couple of years except to vary the set on the tires every so often.  I can't seem to track down a wet wall to see where it's coming from.  I suspect it may be the darned deteriorated windshield seal above, leaking water down the inside of the cap somewhere, and down on the bay box.

The electrical bay is one of the last places I want to see moisture, much less a lake.  Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and where was the water coming in at?  I kinda thought the bay was pretty much a sealed box, and I see no water above the floor level;  nothing where wire looms come and go through panels, etc.

:-/Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

Re: bay leak
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
Joel
What is the condition of your door seals/gaskets?  Dry/deteriorating seals could allow rain/snow water.  When I clean my rig, I apply products that I hope keep them clean and pliable....just a thought.

Leah

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »
I need to examine my door seals more closely, though a brief exam last week during a downpour revealed no problem.  I tend away from applying chemicals to tires and seals, since experts recommend only a regular cleaning.  Some chemicals do more harm than the dirt.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »
Silicone spray can be used on rubber weather-strips to stop a leak. In the auto repair business we would use a light coating of wet silicone spray on convertible top weather-strips to prevent leaks as they aged because replacement was so expensive. It is not a permanent repair and it will attract dust, so I do not consider it a preferable repair method, but it will work for a while and it can be use to help determine were the leak is if you spray a weather-strip and the leak stops.

Gerald