Author Topic: Erratic Tachometer  (Read 7529 times)

Brad Burgess

Erratic Tachometer
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
Hello All

On our recently purchased 03 Monterey, the tach is very erratic and jumps around all over the gauge.  George Harwell, who has the same type coach, told me that this was a common issue and that his erratic tach was remedied with some sort of resistor or diode.  I called the Bend Service Center and after much investigation they were unable to locate the device.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so do they know what the device is to cure it?

Kindest Regards,

Brad Burgess
03 Monterey #800460
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:26:25 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Erratic Tachometer
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
Brad-

I seem to recollect some commentary somewhere about this issue, but I don't remember the resolution, and I read a lot of RV-related articles and a couple of other forums, and don't recall where I saw it.  I might suggest that, if no one else here can help, you contact Brett Wolfe, who may be able to help:  wolfe10@earthlink.net

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Shaw

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »
I had the problem on my 2003 Monterey and the Beaver techs repaired it at one of the rally's. It's was a common problem as I remmember, but I do not know what they did. I looked for a service slip, but was unable to fine it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:37:59 PM by 14 »

Dennis Mecklenburg

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:25 AM »
I have the same problem with my 03 Monterey tachometer and a Beaver Coach tech suggested that I run an additional ground wire. Have done that, but as yet have not been able to test it to see if it resolves the twitch.

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
I have had this problem come and go. So far it is something that happens just occasionally. Haven't had it looked at yet. Thanks for the info.
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Brad Burgess

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »
Hello All

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my post.  I will try the ground wire recipe.  As I indicated before, some folks did have to add an electronic gizmo to the circuit - we'll see.  Thanks again.......

Brad Burgess
03 Monterey #800460

George Harwell

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:44 PM »

Brad, crawled under the dash and found the critter you have been talking about. According to the label the following info should help if you can locate it.

SIEMENS VDO AUTOMOTIVE
ALLENTOWN, PA.
Part # V9999502490 Signal Coupler

Researched Siemens VDO Automotive and found it was acquired by CONTINENTAL AG back in July 07 and both are German companies. Good luck!  George

Brad Burgess

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Hello All

I had my coach in at Massey Diesel in Phoenix for some work and offhandedly mentioned to Tom there that my tach was very erratic.  He installed a part from Radio Shack in the tach feed and the tach now is as solid as a rock!  If you have this problem you can contact Tom at tomk@masseysdiesel.com.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Burgess
03 Monterey #800460