Author Topic: Girard awning leak  (Read 6802 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Girard awning leak
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:31:24 AM »
Hello,
   I have a bad leak above the front door on my 2000 Marquis Amethyst.  It is soaking the fabric  between the wood cabinets and the top of the door.   I suspect it is the Girard awning which seems to be recessed into the side of the coach. If anyone has advise or suggestions for a fix I would be most interested. Thanks, Jeremy.

Bruce Benson

Re: Girard awning leak
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
I would look real hard at your marker lights.  It could also be the anemometer sensor for the awning.  My leaks in that area have come from those two items.  Don't think that I have had a leak at the awning its self so have no guidance if that is the problem

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
This topic was discussed in a post in April 2010. You might find some interesting information in that post.  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1272390391/s-0/
You may also look at:    http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1262698840/s-0/highlight-water+leak/#num0

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
Hi Gerald,
  Lazydays replaced all my marker /clearance lights. The girard awning wind sensor was resealed as well. With so many members telling me the awning is the issue,it must be so. I have found 2 very large bolts with backing washers in the wall behind the inverter control. Could they be the front awning securing bolts??  I am removing the dvd so I can access the wall behind it and hope to find the wiring to the awning motor where it passes through the wall. Both these areas I can caulk from inside and I hope this may work until we get to Bend, Oregon next spring.  jeremy

2000 Marquis Amethyst.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Sealing a water leak from the inside will not work a vast majority of times. If the water gets through the outer layer (fiberglass wall) and you stop it at the inner wall, it will almost always find another path. The water can leak into the wall, causing delamination, or the water can travel in the wall to another spot (edge of a door or window or a seam or hole in the wall) to leak inside the coach. For these reasons, exterior water leaks should only be repaired from the outside.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:19:32 AM »
Hi Gerald,
  I  know the whole awning has to be removed to effect a proper repair. On my sailboat when holes are cut the fibregalss edge is always epoxied to prevent delamination and water migration. When we get to California we intend getting  Girard to replace the motor .While the awning is out I will let them seal all the edges of the laminate with epoxy before reinstalling the awning.  Jeremy

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:48 PM »
Jeremy
It should be noted here that when the Girrard awning is removed, if the motor is (the old one) broken there will be no tension on the fabric and it can and will unspool as you are traveling so care should be taken on this fix.  From experience, I will say that if we had covered the seams at the ends of the box and then above the box with Gorrilla tape it would probably have held temporarily stopping the leaks.
We did use it once hoping it wouldnt peal the paint or finish and there was no problem.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »
Jerry, I have had the same problem on my 2000 Contessa, and talking to Girard I believe the root of the problem is an improper initial installation by Beaver.  The awning is supposed to be secured to the body of the coach within 18 inches from either end on of the awining. My awning is secured to the motorhome about 3 feet from the end on the front of the awning because the bose amp was installed where the awning should have been secured.  When I first discovered the leak to the inside of the motorhome I noticed that the awning had excessive movement when extracted or retracted at the front end of the awning.  I recaulked the entire area and it worked for about 2 months,  but eventually began leaking again.  I have since reinforced the existing bolts holding the awning in place by attaching a 12 x 12 steel plate on the inside of each bolt.  I have also recaulked the entire area and also applied eternabond tape at the top and front seam of the recessed awning.  Since I am not able to secure the awning within 18 inches of the front end there is no other way to stop the movement of the awining I think you need to apply a seal that can withstand some movement.  So far, mine has not leaked for 4 months, but the true test will be the first monsoon in the spring.  Good luck!
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:27 AM »
Hello Brian,

The front end mounting bolts are visible right behind my Prosine control panel above the front door, so I do not think movement is an issue, but you are definitely on the right track.  Beaver did not finish weld the seams on the tray they designed to recess the awning and it mechanism. This tray is tack welded, so a fix is to remove it.  Weld or epoxy the seams, and then reinstall it with a more suitable sealant than silicone.
I am going to be parked near Cabo San Lucas for a month.  Plenty of time to reseal the tray.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:07:50 AM by 14 »