Author Topic: 2006 Monterey steering problem  (Read 1383 times)

Dick Lentz

2006 Monterey steering problem
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
My Monterey has 110,000 miles and I have not had any steering problems.

On a trip now and after driving 300 miles, with some sharp right turns, and parked for three days, my coach will not turn right.  Turns left OK and steering returns to center OK, both wheels turning, but will not turn right.  Some metal tapping noises in front when I turn and am moving.

Looking for some input from members that may have had a similar problem.

Mike Shumack

Re: 2006 Monterey steering problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:12:26 AM »
Hi Dick,
There are a lot of things that can cause the problem you describe. The top things that come to mind are (1) a bad wheel bearing, (2) a problem with the brakes, (3) a seized king pin, or (4) a bad steering box.

When you say the wheels are turning I take that to mean the wheel is not "locked up" but even with a bad wheel bearing the wheel will still turn - for a while.

Since it is making noise, it should not be too hard to diagnose. There are a couple of steps you can do to narrow down the source or location of the problem.

Get the front wheels off the ground (one side at a time is fine) then give the wheels a spin by hand.
Look around (from the underside) look at the front brakes and kingpin area for signs of metal dust/particles.
Have wife stand to side of coach (do both sides) while you drive past her slowly (and apply brakes gently) and she if the side of coach with loudest noise can be identified.
Watch the steering linkage from underneath while wife moves/rocks steering wheel back and forth a few inches (look for slop at the moving parts (like ties rod ends, drag link, and at pitman arm).

Dick Lentz

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
Hi Mike,

Had an onsite repairman today.  Instantly saw that the steering stabilizer was rusted and had failed, thereby putting pressure on the steering system and restricting turns.  After removal of the stabilizer, testing the steering, visual inspection of the steering components, the steering appears to be operating OK.

Will now consider replacing the stabilizer after I see how the coach handles on the last 900 miles of our trip home.

Thanks again.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Lentz

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
Thanks Joel.  Home safely and Saf T Plus replacement ordered.