Author Topic: 12v Charge line from coach to dingy  (Read 2858 times)

Carlmittag

12v Charge line from coach to dingy
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Does anyone know if there is 12v charge line on the connector for towing on a 2005 Beaver Santiam w/cat c9?  Or do I need to install the line myself. 

Guy Pryor

Re: 12v Charge line from coach to dingy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »
I Installed a charger on my toad and I just hooked the 12V charge wire from the charger to the wire for the parking lights on the toad wiring connection from the motor home. So as long as I have the parking lights on in the motor home  the toad battery is receiving  a charge.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:36:12 AM »
When we had our tow vehicle wired for lights while being towed, we had the guy hook a line to the tow vehicle's battery for charging.  He installed a fuse on the line next to the battery.  Our electrical umbilical cord between the coach and tow vehicle is a round plug with seven(?) contact points, one of which has a constant 12v power supply coming from the coach.  He ran a charge wire from that umbilical 12v power supply after the plugin on the tow vehicle to the battery.  So, yes there is a 12v power supply from the coach... but in our case, it's always charging the tow vehicle battery when plugged into the coach.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:38:56 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:06:13 AM »
Carl,
Your coach did not come with a charging wire in the trailer plug connector. However, it is very easy to add one yourself but your should be careful to install an inline fuse in the wire just before each battery conection. A 30 amp fuse at each end should be adiquate. The reason for a fuse at each end is that if there is a short in your wiring or umbilical cord, the circuit has battery power at each end and therefore a fuse is needed at each end. 

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
Sound Advice Gerald, 2 energy sources needs a fuse at each end. For all you guys out there tired of pulling fuses on your Toad, this is the solution. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6