Author Topic: safely working under coach?  (Read 2292 times)

Doug Biesinger

safely working under coach?
« on: July 02, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
Hello all,

I like to announce when I ask a dumb question... I am new to having a coach with air and hydraulic leveling systems.  My question is what is the best/safest way to do work underneath the coach...at road height I cannot fit under coach, not to mention I am a little nervous about coach losing air and making a pancake out of me :)   thanks

Doug Biesinger
2006 Patriot
400 HP C9

Mike Shumack

Re: safely working under coach?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »
I prefer to drive the coach up onto ramps. I made mine out of wood. It gives me about 8 inches of additional clearance. For 99% of what I need to do under there that is more than enough room.
I have a post here with some photos of my ramps. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,7889.msg54810.html#msg54810

You should also be aware that when your under the couch with airbags inflated, there is always a risk of them deflating so know where the crush zones are (and keep clear) or dump the air bags before going under.

Doug Biesinger

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »
Thank you....yea when I dumb the air, there is no way of getting under the coach.  I guess I can also use the hydraulic jacks on the coach for additional support?  I will look at getting some jack stands also...

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
You should not trust hydraulic jacks - same concern as with air bags - they can blow out.

Jack stands are needed if your jacking a wheel off the ground, then you place them under the axle. Bu they don't work well to support frame as they will be too short to reach the frame rails, and even if they were tall enough, there is no clear place to put them under the frame.

The ramp is best way.
I leave the air bags filled when I am doing work (like greasing, or chasing down an air leak). But I can also get under coach (when its on the ramps) with bags deflated. I can go under from the rear end (under engine and tranny) when bags are deflated and then roll my creeper up to the front of tandems. Once under the body skirt there is plenty of room between the frame rails to fit (sit up) and work.

I only put the end of coach I'm working on up on the ramps (not both ends at the same time - But I suppose you could if you had four ramps).

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »
Absolutely agree about NOT Trusting jacks to support the vehicle. You should not use them as the primary support mechanism.

However, I do believe that the jacks could be used as a "backup" support device and extended for additional safety in the event that the primary support gives out.

Like Mike Suggested, use of a solid ramp or curb can get you the extra room you need with the air bags inflated, but dropping the jacks to touch the ground "just in case" would give you the added benefit of vacating the underbelly if that "Phhhssssssssss" sound started.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804