Author Topic: Gerard awning  (Read 2210 times)

Samuel Sperbeck

Gerard awning
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:49:38 PM »
We extended the Gerard patio awning for the first time since we have owned our 2001 patriot thunder and it wouldn't retract. We can hear the sound of the motor trying to retract it, but no movement. We had to crank it in. Any thoughts on troubleshooting?

Thanks, Sam

Gerald Farris

Re: Gerard awning
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:26:11 AM »
Sam,
It sounds like the motor drive is stripped/broken. I do not think that there is anything you can do short of removing and probably replacing the motor. Since Beaver mounted the awning in a recessed channel, motor replacement is a little more difficult on a Beaver than any other coach. To remove the awning motor, you have to remove the front mounting nuts and loosen the rear and center mounting nuts to be able to pull the awning out far enough to remove the end plate to access the motor. However, before you start working on the awning, I would make a call to Girard technical support. Here is a link to a repair manual for your awning; https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/3350/files/AK.G-2000_G-1500_62615_2e88a83c-a485-42c0-83cf-fd73922b6d5e.pdf?5433730594210278951

Gerald

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
Gerald,
Thank you for your response. I read the information in the link you posted and I think working on the problem myself is beyond my current capability. I tried calling Girard tech support and waited on hold a long time before giving up. I will try next week. What has me puzzled is that the awning extended fully but wouldn't retract at all. Maybe I tried to retract it too soon after extending it and the thermal overload tripped out. I will try again when my wife can help me watch what is happening.
Thanks Sam

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »
Hi Sam,
  Just a note of CAUTION here. The arms on the awning are spring "loaded" and it is the tension in the arms that extends the fabric. The motor unwinds the fabric and the arms extend it. When you retract the awning, the motor is working harder because it has to fold the arms and wind the fabric. Follow the instructions in the manual or this awning will toss you off the ladder.

Blessings, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for solving the puzzle as to why the awning will extend but not retract. If I can find someone in the area with experience with Girard awnings I will try to get it fixed. Otherwise we will live without a working awning.
Thanks, Sam