Author Topic: 1989 3208 Cat/ tires 10x22.5 and 11x22.5  (Read 5010 times)

Gary Schenck

1989 3208 Cat/ tires 10x22.5 and 11x22.5
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
I have a couple of questions:  the 3208 Cat is suppose to be a new rebuilt engine...at least I have an invoice.  The motor or some components is throwing some oil.  Is there a dye that we can put in the oil that will show a leak with a black light?  What other recommendations would you have.  You mentioned earlier the matched belts/not matched numbers but matched belts/I totally understand/I ran a full service service station back in the day.  We drove this coach 1100 miles to get it home.  We threw belts off I'm sure it is due to oil.  In checking the oil levels on transmission, hydraulic pump and motor we did lose some from the motor...probably 2 qts or so.  The hydraluic pump we may have lost some as well.

Regarding tires:  The rear tires are my concern.  Is there room or any reason not to use 11x22.5 tires.  WIll the wheel handle the 11x22.5?  

Thank you for your help.

Gary

Edward Buker

Re: 1989 3208 Cat/ tires 10x22.5 and 11x22.5
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
Gary,

I had an 89 Contessa with a 3208. There should be someone that has the ability to steam clean the engine and get it clean enough to see wher the oil first appears. Degreaser and a pressure washer would be a second choice but I was never fond of getting much water to settle on top of a V8 manifold, in case it could find its way into the engine. Valve cover leaks come to mind on mine. I also had to replace the angled rubber boot system that comes from the oil fill tube to the valve cover due to cracking and leaking. I did have the hydraulic pump replaced once due to leaking at the shaft over the years. Several years back I was able to get a matched belt set from Gillig. Whether or not they still have them I do not know. I was able to go to a belt with the cogs from NAPA for the air conditioner compressor that lasted much better than a standard V belt. If you have a slip, you may be able to contact the folks that did the engine work. If they work on them they should have some educated ideas but I'm not sure they will want to get involved.  

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
Gary,
On the question of whether you can run 11/22.5 tires instead of 10/22.5 tires, there are several things to consider. First you need to check your wheel widths. The 10/22.5 tires can run on 6.75 inch wheels where a 11/22.5 requires at least a 7.5 inch wheel. The next thing is the 11/22.5 is over an inch wider, so you will need to check the dual spacing or the distance between the rear tires to be sure that there is enough clearance between the tires as well as between the tire and the coach. And last the 11/22.5 is over an inch larger in diameter, so you will need to measure the wheel well clearance to be sure that there is enough clearance through all of the suspension travel.

You can go to the tire manufacture's website an download the load and inflation data book for the tire that you are thinking of purchasing and all of these specifications will be listed for the tire that you are considering. You should not assume that if one coach can clear a specific tire, that all similar coaches can clear the same tire, because these coaches were hand built and no two coaches are identical. That is one thing that makes them so special.    

Gerald

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »
Requesting match belts from say Napa should not be any issue as they as used to the request.  the belts should have a production number that matches.

The 3208 issue you have is not uncommon on that engine.  A V-Type engine has always been an issue for a diesel engine with its cylinder pressures. A 3208 is known as a throw away engine by its own manufacturer.

Rebuilding without the use of a short block is not the answer unless the block was bored at 10-20 over specs to ensure proper ring seating.  Pistons and rings for this engine are available.  Most of the V-Type diesel engines have a fair amount of slobber.  The 6V and 8V 92 Detroit engines that are in alot of older Prevosts and Blue Birds were famous for this issue.

Now for the good news, steam clean with degreaser and then use a yard blower to clean excess water off the top of the engine.  Once competed crank and look for leaks, have an extendable mirror handy.  More likely than not it will come from near the injection pump if so a gasket will take care of the issue.

The 3208 is a good engine but requires a lot of attention but it offers an excellant horse power to weight ratio.

Good luck.