Author Topic: hydraulic jack question  (Read 3893 times)

Les Marzec

hydraulic jack question
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
My 2003 Beaver Patriot with tag gives me fits getting in and out of my driveway.  I store it at a storage facility, but I am getting ready to go on a trip and want to give it the once over and do some minor maintenance.

The coach is equipped with the Monaco leveling system, where the jacks level the coach off of the frame.

My question is.  Have any of you leveled your coach and them drove it a matter of 6 to 10 feet with the jacks extended on the frame.  To me this could be asking for trouble and I dont want to do unless someone has had a happy experience in a situation like mine.

It seems that Monaco went to extra effort to make this coach sit as low as possible.  Even the 275/70 tires are shorter then the 295/75. Between the exhaust tip, muffler and hitch, there is not much room to maneuver going in and out of deep gutter.

Backing into my driveway off my circle, I could dump the air and level the coach which would lower the front and raise the back end enough to get the clearance I need.

My first thought is this will cause some problems.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Any recommendations.  

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: hydraulic jack question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »
First thought is that some motorhomes have a shift lock out to prevent coach movement when the jacks are extended making it impossible to do what you are talking about unless you bypass the lock out.  Any torque or applied to essentially deflated air bags could cause structural shifting resulting in a broken windshield or other problems.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I have driven off with jacks extended on a dirt road for probably 25 feet.  The ride lets you know soon.  I think you could drive alright 6-10 feet without a problem, as long as you do not have too much side to side motion, like I experienced on the dirt road.  You do not have much springing action.

Larry

Les Marzec

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
Thanks for your input.   It sounds like I could do it, but the potential for doing damage is just too great to risk it.

My neighbor and I are going to put together some ramps that will straighten the dip out.  That will be the best way to solve the problem and for sure not do any damage.

Thanks for your responses.  It made the decision to not try it easier.  

The BAC forum has been valuable tool and has helped me and, I suppose, others with problems that we all seem to face from time to time.  Thanks to all of the people that share their experiences.