Author Topic: odd road noise  (Read 5763 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
odd road noise
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
We have been stuck at home for the past year.  We haven't had the MH out much since Redmond.  I drove it to a shop some 15 miles one way, and noticed increased "road noise" from the area of the driver front tire.  I have checked the fluid levels in the axle, and they are fine, though the fluid hasn't been changed ever, to my knowledge.
The noise sounds a bit like standard road /tire noise, but with a bit of a growl and some air movement noise.  I would check the wheel bearing in any other vehicle.
No extra vibration in the steering wheel.
No turning problem.
Front end was inspected at the Redmond Rally for possible steer safe, but was in better than average shape.
There is a wheel well bolt or two missing, and it rubs a bit on tight turns.
I honestly can't think of any other options, and am no where near a good front end shop.
What do you think.  Worry?  When it breaks, "you'll know it?"

THANKS MUCH FOLKS
Keith
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:43:32 PM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

Re: odd road noise
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
 Keith,
I never like to tell anyone to "wait till it breaks". The noise may have been caused by the road surface that you were driving on at the time, or from a slightly cupped front tire. It is impossible to tell from here what your noise could have been, especially with only 15 miles each way on the same road, within the last 9 months.  

You could have a bearing failure, with full hub oil levels, although it is not likely. The most likely cause for your noise, is the road surface itself, or a tire with an abnormal wear pattern (cupping).

If you have a bad bearing, it can cause substantial damage when it totally fails, including a tow charge, so you should be very conscious of the noise until you determine what the root cause is. You can jack up the front wheel in question and turn the wheel by hand to determine if you have rough bearings, and check for uneven tire wear, however there is a safety issue here so exercise extreme caution, if you try this.

The best thing is to use the coach, and get out and drive it like the builders at Beaver intended. Then you can answer the question yourself with the changes in road conditions, as well as noise level changes as you drive.

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:47:03 PM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
Gerald-

Keith commented that he senses there is rubbing "a bit" in the wheel well in tight turns.  That shouldn't be;  could his ride height be off or air bag system faulty?

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
You may want to replace the missing bolts in the wheel well fiberglass shield.  It could be rubbing on something with wind at speed.

Larry

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »
Larry is right about the missing wheel housing bolts. It will be a quick and easy repair, that will cost almost nothing and remove a possible noise.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
Those bolts are on my "to do " list as soon as it stops raining long enough.   I will keep an eye on that wheel bearing.  Thanks all for the input.

Gerald, driving it is the best for sure.  
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!