Author Topic: Keyless Entry "glitch"  (Read 7841 times)

Jim Gill

Keyless Entry "glitch"
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
The keyless entry system on my 2006 Monterey had been working well since I replaced the external keypad panel last year. However, a few days ago I had a glitch.  Pushing the "Lock" button on the external keypad panel properly locked the entry door but pushing the access code number sequence to open the door made the normal sound inside the door as though it was unlocking the latch but the handle would not open the door. I opened the door lock very easily with a key and then again tried to operate the keyless entry system.  Pushing the "Lock" pad locked the door as it should...I could hear the normal locking sound inside the door.  But entering the access code sequence to open the door made the normal internal noise as though it was unlocking the latch but the door remained locked. The plastic door latch moved in and out with no resistence like the door was still locked...and it was!!!

So, my plan is to remove the black plastic door latch panel on the inside of the door and then the larger rectangular white panel which surrounds it with the hope that this will provide access to the door latch and the internal automatic locking/unlocking mechanism. Though I'm not certain what I will find inside the door, my hope is that something minor has come apart which is causing the "locking" side of the system to work as normal but the "unlocking" side of the system to not work as normal.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem or on what I might find inside the door would be helpful before I begin the dissassembly process. Once I'm "inside" the door, I plan to spray a bit of dry graphite lube on the latch and locking/unlocking mechanism to assure smooth operation going forward.

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter,
Jim Gill    
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:30:01 PM by 14 »

Jim Herman

Re: Keyless Entry "glitch"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »
Jim,
I had a similar problem with our 2006 Monterey a couple of years ago.  I found that the actuator rod inside the door had broken which required complete disassembly of the door panel to replace it.  I didn't do it myself, i had it done at Lazy Days.  Good luck.
Jim Herman

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
Jim, before you take your door apart, one way to test the door lock/unlock solenoid is to apply 12 VDC to the two metal contact pads located midway up the door on the hinge side. I used a small motorcycle battery. Reverse the leads to open or close the solenoid. On my 05 Monterey there are two plungers in the door jamb that supply power to the door when the door is closed. Recently one of the plungers stuck and although the relay was "clicking" the door solenoid was not moving. I cleaned and lubed the plungers and all is well.

P.S. For those of you reading this post please check these contact points from time to time. I only had my remote fob with me and was locked out because the contact points for the door lock were not making good contact.  After an hour somehow I managed to get the solenoid energized unlocking the door. Now I hide-a-key both an extra transmitter and a door key.

Jim Gill

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
Greetings all and thanks for all of your thoughts on this matter.

The problem with the keyless entry system on my 2006 Monterey has been solved...and it was actually a fairly minor and relatively easy repair. When I removed the black latch cover and then the larger panel to which the latch cover is attached, the complete locking mechanism was exposed from the actuator on the left to the black plastic door latch in the middle to the locking latch rod on the right...the attached digital image shows this mechanism. Once this mechanism was exposed, I closed the door and operated the keyless entry system from inside the coach to see exactly what was, and was not, operating properly. The silver rod connected to the actuator on the left is connected to the backside of the black latch in the middle of the image...the other silver rod is also connected to the backside of the black latch and then connects on the other end (right side) to the actual locking mechanism of the door. The actuator is designed to pull both rods through the black lever to the left to lock the door and to push both rods through the black lever to the right to open the door. When I actuated the keyless entry, it locked the door fine...it pulled everything to the left. But when I tried to unlock the door, the actuator pushed the rod connected to it approximately 1 1/2" to the right but only moved the black latch and the rod going out the other side to the locking mechanism less than 1/2"...clearly not far enough to open the door lock. It was obvious that there was a problem with the connecting points on the backside of the black latch which was not allowing the same amount of lateral movement in both rods and the black latch required to open the door.

I contacted the folks at Trimark, the folks who designed and manufactured this system, and explained the malfunction...I also emailed them the attached image. Though they couldn't precisely identify the root cause of the problem I was having, we all agreed that the black plastic latch was the likely culprit. So I had them send me a new black plastic latch (they had one in stock and it was only $10.00!!!) so that I would hopefully have the new part required to make a proper repair before I took the door apart any further. When the new latch arrived, I disconnected the silver rod from the actuator on the left and the silver rod on the other end from the door latch on the right at which time the black plastic latch easily slid out from behind the gold colored bracket holding it in place. When I looked at the back of the latch, it was obvious what was causing the malfunction. Both of the silver rods have 90 degree bends in them which are designed to fit into pockets on the backside of the latch...the inner wall of the pocket which accepts the end of the rod connected to the actuator had reached and exceeded its design life and failed and was allowing this rod to move to the right, the direction required to unlock the door, without causing any movement of either the latch or of the other rod connected to the door locking mechanism. I have attached a digital image of the backside of the failed black latch with a yellow circle around the failed pocket wall.

Once the new plastic latch was properly installed, everything worked fine. Understanding what actually caused this problem, I immediately called Trimark and ordered another latch...I figured that I better get another when they are still available. Hopefully, the life of the new latch will be longer than the original.

Sorry for the length of this response but it might save somebody a bunch of hassle and money and frustration sometime down the road if they experience this same problem.

Jim  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:26:16 PM by 2011 »

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »
Photos from Jim.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:48:11 AM »
Thank you Jim, for the excellent description of the problem, and the solution.  I think many of us will benefit from your update

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
Jim, be sure you put a tag on this thread with "Keyless Entry" or "Door Lock" for future reference.  ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31:06 PM »
Well Joel, your wish is granted.

Larry

Ken Buck

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
Your lock and latch look very much like mine. Could you save me the effort and provide the part number and ordering phone# or email so I can buy a spare also?

Thanks,
Ken

Jim Gill

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:57:20 AM »
Ken
Here's the Trimark contact info and the door latch details you requested.

Trimark Door Systems
Ann Flatjord
ann@trimarkcorp.com
1-800-431-8616

The part number and name of the plastic latch that fit my door is #80978 LEVER, LOCK, INSIDE HG BLACK. You might want to double-check with Ann to make certain that there hasn't been any change to this design since 2006. She was very helpful and knowledgeable and acknowledged to me when she needed to check with the engineers about how the locking system actually works...better than her just guessing at an answer!!!

Early on in our conversation, I asked that she send me any engineering drawings that might be available for this locking system so that I could better understand how it was designed before I began taking it apart. Her response was the attached drawing she sent which really didn't help me a bunch in making this repair but was interesting to review and may come in handy somewhere down the road.

One last item. Though it may be more hassle than the value, it appears that there would be enough clearance between the OD of the connecting rod attached to the actuator and the ID of the plastic pocket on the backside of the plastic lever to fabricate and insert a small metal mating surface of some type along the innner wall of the pockets in order to provide a stronger mating surface for the rod other than just the plastic. Since this plastic lever is what is used to activate the door lock in both directions (lock/unlock) from inside the coach, it is possible to put more force against both of these plastic pockets with manual operation than with the keyless entry system which could in turn, accelerate the wear rate on the inner wall of the plastic pockets...a stronger mating surface could possibly extend the life of this component.

Hope this helps...contact me if you have any other questions on this matter.  

Jim

Ken Buck

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 05:24:16 AM »
That's exactly what I needed Jim. Thanks a ton!

Ken