Author Topic: Air Horns  (Read 8181 times)

Steve Adams

Air Horns
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
My air horns work but only if I get real manly pushing the center of the steering wheel and only if I hit the right spot. Is this something I can fix or should I call around?

Thanks, Steve

Gerald Farris

Re: Air Horns
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »
Steve,
It sounds like you need a new horn pad, and it is a job that the average mechanic will have no problem with. You may have a little difficulty in locating a new horn pad, but since your coach does not have an air pad in the steering wheel, the cost should be reasonable.

Since I do not know how mechanically inclined you are, I can not say how easy it will be for you to replace. But because there is no air bag to contend with it is probably doable.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:30:35 AM by 14 »

Steve Adams

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
Gerald,

I do better at writing checks than fixing things! I'll give Bend a call to see if they can fit me it. Might as well bundle up some of the things that need their expertise into one trip.

Thanks again, Steve

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:46:27 AM »
I know you don't want to tackle it, but it sounds like removing the pad and cleaning some contacts would be worth a shot.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »
Joel,
You would have to cut the molded horn pad assembly apart to get to the contacts. Then you would have to have a way to repair the damage where the the pad was cut apart before you could use it. Therefore horn pads are considered non-repairable by most mechanics.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Gerald.  I've taken apart steering wheels and horn pads in the past, including on our old Pace Arrow.  But I haven't closely studied the pad mechanics on our Beaver.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:33 AM »
If you have the older round horn pad with the Beaver emblem in the center, it is easy.  Use a small plastic putty knife or a similar tool, and just work the rubber out from around the edge of the collar. The switch (whole horn button) will pop right out, and there is only one wire connected to it. Any truck dealer should have a replacement, but it won't have a Beaver in the center. I put a Kenworth button (fond of Kenworths) on mine, and gave my old button to Jay Todd, when his went bad. Marty
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:37:25 AM by 14 »

Steve Adams

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »
Marty,

"Use a small plastic putty knife or a similar tool, and just work the rubber out from around the edge of the collar."

Is that around the beaver emblem itself or around where the horn pad sits on the steering wheel?

Thanks, Steve

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
Steve, Around the horn pad where it sits inside the raised part of the steering wheel.

Steve Adams

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »
Marty,

"Use a small plastic putty knife or a similar tool, and just work the rubber out from around the edge of the collar."

Is that around the beaver emblem itself or around where the horn pad sits on the steering wheel?

Thanks, Steve

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
Steve, around the large part of the rubber pad (outside diameter), not around the Beaver emblem.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
And my problem wasn't the horn pad. Still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure there is a horn relay somewhere and I suspect that's where the problem is. Haven't started looking for the darn thing yet.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Jay,
I told Steve that he had a problem with his horn pad because his horn worked if he pressed very hard on the horn pad. If your air horn does not work, there are several possible problems, however a horn relay is not one of them since relays are used on electrical horns, not air horns.

The most probable cause is a stuck air control solenoid that is mounted in the LF electrical bay. If you feel the solenoid click when the horn button is pressed, but you get no air to the horns, the valve is stuck or there is an air line off. You can usually un-stick the valve with a good penetrating oil or liquid silicone.

If you use a penetrating oil like WD-40 to un-stick the valve, be sure to blow the valve out because it can harm the valve if left in contract with the seals or wiring, where liquid silicone spray will not be harmful. However the silicone spray is not as good at freeing up a stuck valve.

If you determine that the valve is operating electrically, but you are getting no air and you can not un-stick the valve, replace it. But remember that the most important thing about any repair is to properly diagnose the problem before you replace a part, or you will usually end-up wasting money.

Gerald    

George H. Wall

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
I was having a problem with my air horns, as they only worked intermittenly, and  most of the time NOT when I needed them. I finally noticed that below 120 lbs. of air pressure, green gauge marker, they worked, but NOT when pressure was above that level. Ken @ Beaver Coach said to reduce the air pressre in the system to a maximum of 120 lbs by adjusting the little tank back on the engine. Solved my problem, as the higher pressure was locking the horn system up.