Author Topic: Dash Air Recirculate Vacuum Line  (Read 2010 times)

Mike Gineris

Dash Air Recirculate Vacuum Line
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »
I'm completely overhauling the entire Coach interior (ceiling, walls, floor, cabinets, furniture) so I removed the center console upfront and found the flapper door for the recirculate function.  It doesn't move when switched.  I found the actuator up front and a brittle broken vacuum line.  Where can I find a replacement for this tiny line?  I found a tight fitting larger line and ran it to the actuator in hopes it would suffice, but now the door stays open instead of closed all the time.  I'm thinking the line with the larger ID doesn't do the job.  The larger line is a perfect tight fit for the small line and a perfect fit on the actuator...so I'm thinking of trying to use it only as a splice for the new vacuum line...that I can't find anywhere.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Dash Air Recirculate Vacuum Line
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »
     Mike,
  Perform a vacuum check to the servo that actuates that recirc door. Max A/C setting opens that door to recirculate the interior air. The default setting is closed so you are pulling in outside air to cool. If there is no vacuum in the max a/c setting, look for a vacuum leak at the dash controls. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
Don't bother looking for a "plastic" replacement line, just get the rubber hose (any parts store will have it). Just get one with an inside diameter small enough to give a tight fit on the nipple it goes over. Probably 1/8" or 5/32" I.D.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/belts-hoses-16454/hoses-25069/bulk-hose-16664/bulk-hose---vacuum-hose-18167/3d359da4300a

Mike Gineris

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
The Door is spring loaded in the closed position.  When I attached the Vacuum repair line splicing the tiny plastic line, the door opened.  The problem is that it now stays open regardless of setting.  I'm tempted to force the door to remain open all the time and just give up as I can't think of any real good reason why using internal air all the time is bad.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »
    Mike,
 Unlike a car that eventually cools the entire cabin, Our coaches blow cool air off into infinity. I installed a pull curtain that closes off the cabin area from the coach living room. It does a fairly good job keeping the cool air in the cockpit area and I always use Max A/C to recirculate the existing cool air. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Gineris

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 11:36:41 PM »
Exactly ...I don't think it's worth the effort to fix this.  I'll just stay with Recirc.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 03:51:50 AM »
Mike,
From what you've related, it sounds like either a vacuum or mechanical problem. If the latter, should be relatively easy to correct. Vacuum problems never get better by themselves but often go the other way. If your already in there, ..... IMHO, fix it now or fix it later.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
    Mike,
  For trouble-shooting purposes, if the vacuum pump has failed the default position of all the dash controls is the defrost position. I think there engineering reasoning was for safety that the windshield would not fog up. My guess would be the dash control because it is opening the recirc door all the time. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Gineris

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »
I will cycle through the settings to see what happens.  I have plenty of air coming out of the primary dash vents.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »
Mike,
If the door closes when vacuum is removed, the problem is not mechanical. Your coach has the ACME dash climate control system. A diagram of it is in Coach Assist under Heating and AC Systems. In the lower center section of the diagram you will find  the Recirc Door Motor. It is driven by vacuum. However there is a Electric vacuum solenoid between it and the vacuum supply. I'd suspect one of those 2 component is the source of your problem.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks