Author Topic: Please help to identify what's leaking under my engine? 2001 3126b  (Read 2039 times)

Mack Turner

After arriving in South Carolina from Michigan I noticed I was collecting some fluids on the back of the coach and the photo is what I found, can someone please help identify what this unit is, where to replenish the fluid it's leaking and can it make it back to Michigan from South Carolina without being repaired?

Mack Turner

Re: Please help to identify what's leaking under my engine? 2001 3126b
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
Photo
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:23:49 PM by Mack Turner »

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:33 PM »
Mack, it looks like oil could be coming from your valve cover gasket . Have you checked your oil level? Is there oil on the ground under the engine? The severity of this leak does not appear very significant based upon the photo
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Mack Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »
I did not look at the valve covers, it appeared to me it was coming from whatever this unit is. I'll take a look at the valve covers though and I did check my oil it doesn't appear to be low.

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
Mack,

follow the hydraulic lines to there destination. That will give you an idea what you are dealing with. The 3126 has a HEUI pump for the injectors, but I believe it is located more topside on your motor. From your picture, looks like the hydraulic pump for the power steering. If you can power wash the oil off, then start coach, you may be able to locate where leak is coming from. It may be a pinhole leak in one of the hydraulic lines. Any hydraulic shop can make up a new hydraulic line. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 03:15:01 AM »
Mack
Frank is correct that is the hydraulic pump for your power steering .
The oil could be either coming from the bolting flange where the pump is connected to the block ( engine oil)
Or hydraulic fluid from the pump itself (hydraulic fluid)
 Check your engine oil level and your power steering hydraulic fluid level.
Do you have puddles of oil under the vehicle when it's running ?
Check the colour of the oil leakage  black would be engine oil and your hydraulic oil will  likely be red you can verify this by dipping the power steering reservoir to see what colour the hydraulic fluid is.

There is also a cover plate on the the side of the engine block behind and ahead of the power steering pump which are known to leak engine oil.

Check to see if the pump feels loose at it's mounting to the engines timing cover.
As for the traveling with it this way that's a judgment call from your picture it doesn't look wet or dripping. The dirt collection would indicate that this leak has been there for a while, if it where me I would assess the speed and volume of the leak and if it's not dripping and or leaving puddles I would keep an eye on the oil and hydraulic levels keep everything topped up and monitor them regularly on you way down the road and of course have it fixed when you get home.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:20:33 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 03:46:22 AM »
Mark
Looking closer I noticed the hydraulic line which feeds hydraulic fluid from the reservoir to the pump .
You'll notice the fitting on the larger of the two hydraulic lines has a clean darker black spot on the pump this is an indication of wash down caused by a leak.
That fitting is an O ring based ( ORB) fitting if you look at where that fitting threads into the power steering pump there is a jamb nut  which tightens up against the pump body to hold that fitting in what ever position it needs to point ,behind that jamb nut there is an O ring which seals the fitting where it threads in the clean spot would be caused by fluid leaking passed that O ring.
It may be as simple as tightening the nut or it may need a new O ring.
Eric
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:15:54 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:50:19 AM »
A word of caution Mack, when attempting to locate a leak of fluid or air. A fine spray under medium to high pressure can penetrate the skin to cause a serious injury and be potentially fatal. Don’t use your hand in an attempt to locate a leak. Depressurize the device or line prior to disassembly.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
Mack, what you are looking at is hydraulic pump that is connected to the back of the engine air compressor. It appears that the smaller hose which is a pressure line is leaking at the connection.
This could be as simple as the inside nut on the hydraulic fitting has a O-Ring that is sealed by the
Tightness of that nut. What could have happened is over time that fitting has loosen up and oil is
Coming via ring bevel seat \. That hydraulic fitting will allow the correct angle for connect of female
Fitting on hydraulic hose and is tightenup when hydraulic hose is connected. That would be my
Area to look at first that swivel nut could loosen up over time. Next check the hydraulic hose fitting.
Problem is located on the smaller hose which is pressure, making a mess but not loosing much
fluid. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic