Author Topic: Side radiator fan  (Read 3069 times)

Robert McVicker

Side radiator fan
« on: January 21, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »
Hello on the side radiator fan, my unit seems to be running all the time even on cold startup. Is that normal operation? I hear a buzzing noise too maybe vibration noise. Also all my heat and air controls were set to off. Thanks in advance

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Side radiator fan
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:37:03 PM »
on our 06PT the fan would not start until some heat was in the coolant fluid, the Danforth valve will open and allow flow once the wax melts maybe your valve is stuck. You can give it a good rap or remove the lines to check

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Robert McVicker

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
Thanks Jerry where's the valve your speaking of?

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
Robert,

the valve Jerry is talking about is usually screwed into radiator, located towards the back of engine bay. There will be two hydraulic lines running down to switch valve and fan motor. I had to replace my thermo valve because my fan was running wide open even at cold starts. Fuel mileage was terrible due to all the horsepower to turn fan. I got my thermo valve from White House Products in the UK, part number 553/1/09857/210. Very reasonable price wise and about 5 days to ship. https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.com/home?aliaspath=%2fhome Hope this helps.
Here is the actual part. https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.com/products/hydraulic-motors/hyd-gear-motors-fan-valves/dynamatic-fan-drive-motors-valves/553-1-09857-210-thermo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:11:41 PM by Frank Bergamo »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:11:45 PM »
Hello on the side radiator fan, my unit seems to be running all the time even on cold startup. Is that normal operation? I hear a buzzing noise too maybe vibration noise. Also all my heat and air controls were set to off. Thanks in advance

It is normal for the fan to run when the engine is cold - at least on some Coaches. If it is turning, it should be turning "slow". When the engine gets hot the fan speed increases.
That's how mine works on a 2005 PT with C13. My friend has a 2003 PT with a C12 and his hydraulic fan does not run when the engine is cold.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
Wally Kimble and I drove our wives to Newfoundland from Oregon several years ago.  His then new '06 Patriot Thunder fan never stopped blowing.  When I was in trail, I could see the road dust bellow out!  I recall a discussion that the fan system consumed about 50 hp and the necessary fuel to keep it turning.  It may have been a malfunction, but it seemed normal.  Wally averaged about 6 to 6.5 mpg. 

Robert McVicker

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »
Thanks Bill , on the trip to Florida I was getting 7.1 mpg so maybe I'm a worry wart!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »
Robert if your getting 7 MPG average that's great for the C-13 engine.

I had some serious hydraulic issues when a pump failed. The C-13 does run better on the warm side per Dave our resident Cat expert. But if you check with Danforth you will see the valves are available in 5 degree increment's they do have local stock in Oregon Source Engineering.

Best to look at the normal temps on your rig as you start a trip engine cold watch the temps as they rise you should see the steep decline as the fan kicks in starting the cooling process.
If your not seeing the fluctuation in temps you may have an issue but if everything works no problem. When we had our failure it required 9 months for us to get the parts and cost was around 9K for parts and labor( we did have warranty) The system repair did require replacing both Hdy. Pumps/Fan Motor/ Wax valve/ complete Fan assemble and flushing complete Hdy system including the steering gear box. All work was done by Massey in Phoenix and the rig ran very well after repairs. We did have Danforth issues with 3 different valves and the rig did run about 5-7 degrees warmer after all the repairs. I put 20K miles on the rig after repair and its now owned by one of our members and she is running strong.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13