Author Topic: Replacement Muffler "turn down"  (Read 1496 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Replacement Muffler "turn down"
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:28:07 PM »
Last November, on the way to Florida, somewhere along the way, we lost the muffler "turn down". The muffler itself is still intact. What's missing is the pipe (or turn down) that fastens to the nipple on the end of the muffler and directs the exhaust to where its designed to go. In our '05 40' Monterey, that somewhere is through the sidewall that is behind the battery bay. There was also a chrome tip on the end of the turn down to make it look cool coming out of the hole. It doesn't exhaust out the back of the coach as some do.

In the process of trying to source a replacement, its difficult to explain how this "turn down" is configured. It has to bend on an angle at some point to be lined up with the hole in the sidewall. A vendor has sent me pictures, and asked me to choose the one I need. However, without a picture of how its configured for our coach its difficult to do, just eyeballing it.

I'm attaching a picture of the muffler without the turn down. Also pictures of the proposed replacement without the the chrome tip. I think I can get a chrome tip almost anywhere.

If someone has the same coach, and can look at the configuration and tell me if one of the pictures matches yours, please let me know. Ours is a 2005 Monterey Laguna IV. 40 feet. I don't know if other model are different.

Picture 1 = The hole in the rear side wall where the chrome tip comes out.
Picture 2 = The view of the muffler with no "turn down".
Picture 3 = The view of the muffler through the hole.
Picture 4 = Pictures of my muffler and the proposed replacements. I'm thinking its #2 or 3

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Replacement Muffler "turn down"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 09:46:56 PM »
Ours is a model year newer, but probably has the same arrangement.  Most muffler shops can build you what you need, maybe faster and cheaper.

#4 of your replacement photo images is closest.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Replacement Muffler "turn down"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 04:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, Joel.

I'm researching heavy duty truck repair facilities in Tampa St Pete area now.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad