Author Topic: Fuel tank  (Read 2842 times)

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
Fuel tank
« on: April 13, 2021, 08:34:40 PM »
Who here has remove their fuel tank to clean it or to inspect it or anything about how the fuel line is configured is it on top of the tank? Or a side, I don’t see any hoses near the bottom of the tank ...
trying to figure out if I got a blockage restricting flow of fuel out of the tank.

My clear Winn bowl pre-filter thing is pretty empty most of the time now that I have it running and only gets fuel every now and again.

Ran over 1t min sitting still revved rpms to 1100 and 1500 a few times and fuel flowed but still sits pretty empty....

That bowl and filter was pretty messy I emptied it and cleaned it out with some rubbing alcohol....but expected it maybe to run 1/2 full.... is my expectation wrong?
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:53:42 PM »
Most fuel pickups, returns, and vent tubes are in the top of the tank.  You could have algae or other debris blocking the pickup.  Does the cleaned filter/separator stay clean?  A failed fuel pump could be the culprit.  But I’d check the tank vent hose which may be plugged or have a stuck valve.  On our coach it comes out of the tank top and runs forward.

A good move would be to call Dave again, as he is far more knowledgeable than me, especially regarding the 3126 setup, and can proffer other suspects.

You need to update your profile or signature with coach model and year, as we won’t necessarily remember it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Ron Davis

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:01:29 PM »
Profile Update ..  Thanks

Most fuel pickups, returns, and vent tubes are in the top of the tank.  You could have algae or other debris blocking the pickup.  Does the cleaned filter/separator stay clean?  A failed fuel pump could be the culprit.  But I’d check the tank vent hose which may be plugged or have a stuck valve.  On our coach it comes out of the tank top and runs forward.

A good move would be to call Dave again, as he is far more knowledgeable than me, especially regarding the 3126 setup, and can proffer other suspects.

You need to update your profile or signature with coach model and year, as we won’t necessarily remember it.

Joel
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:10:59 PM »
Ron
The winn prefilter screen is on the suction side of the fuel system the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the glass bowl the co?um of air is traped in the column the fuel level in the glass bowl will be low with a clean screen and as the screen becomes dirty the level will increase.
The winn system is known to leak air into the suction side at the O rings on that sight glass if and when this happens you will usually also notice that when the fuel tank is full the O rings may seep fuel leaking into the floor of the service bay and the fuel level in the sight glass may go to the top if that's the O ring that's leaking.
If air leaks in through the o rings the engine will have lose of power and prolonged operation that way can damage fuel injectors.
The O rings are replaceable there are two at each end they can be picked up at any hydraulic shop the numbers are as follows
They are Nitrile .612 OD x .103 Cross section Part number #114
                            .609 OD x .139 Cross section Part number # 208
The system uses two each of the above O rings.
For more information on the Winn Rayco system there is some manuals in the coach assist section of the forum.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:41:39 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:24:50 PM »
I can not help you much with the filters, but I have dropped my tank after pumping the fuel out of it and into clean 55 gallon drums. You will have to get the MH up on ramps to gain enough room to move the tank.  The fittings are on top, and you can tilt the tank forward to get to the fittings.  While you are in there you may want to replace the lines unless they appear to be in good shape. 

I believe that my main fuel line had already been replaced, so I left it.  I did replace the lines going to the generator, the reason for dropping the tank and the vent hose.  For some reason the fuel inlet hoses are on the sides and the tank does not have to be dropped to remove those.

A motorcycle type of lift works well for lowering the tank.  It is tight under there but doable.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Speaking of fuel tanks... Is it normal for a 2002 Marquis to take so so long to fill the tank?  It doesn't matter which side I fill from I either have to hold the fuel nozzle by hand or set it on the lowest notch to put 100 or 150 gallons in the Beaver.  I usually warn the trucker behind me waiting that I am going to take a long time and they usually pull up to another pump.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
     Dave,
 If you were to look under the coach where the fuel tank is located, you will see that the filler necks on each side are below the frame rails. Once the fuel gets to that level, it is slow going as you wait for the diesel to push up against the head pressure of the raising fuel level. Most of the time you can engage the first click on the nozzle but sometimes it is an exercise in patience. You may want to check the vent hoses that run back up from the tank up to the filler neck. Sometimes the ty-wraps that secure them break and then the vent hose falls down and causes a "p-trap" effect. Once they get fuel trapped in the lower loop, they are not a vent any more. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 04:27:35 AM »
Update,
Opted  to tow into CAT on 43rd in  Phoenix .
Dr. willl be looking at her tomorrow.

Hope I don’t need a GoFundMe page. Lol...

Thanks for everyone’s help and advice.

Ron

Who here has remove their fuel tank to clean it or to inspect it or anything about how the fuel line is configured is it on top of the tank? Or a side, I don’t see any hoses near the bottom of the tank ...
trying to figure out if I got a blockage restricting flow of fuel out of the tank.

My clear Winn bowl pre-filter thing is pretty empty most of the time now that I have it running and only gets fuel every now and again.

Ran over 1t min sitting still revved rpms to 1100 and 1500 a few times and fuel flowed but still sits pretty empty....

That bowl and filter was pretty messy I emptied it and cleaned it out with some rubbing alcohol....but expected it maybe to run 1/2 full.... is my expectation wrong?
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis