Author Topic: 05 Patriot Thunder air bags and shocks  (Read 2968 times)

Paul Bedoe

05 Patriot Thunder air bags and shocks
« on: April 14, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
After the initial trip about 5000 miles i noticed quite a bit of porpoising. Just took a quick look under the coach looks like 10 air bags and 8 shocks ?  My 4 shocks in front are Koni and the rear seems to have the original Bilsteins.  8 air bags look new and 2 look like I better change them before the next trip. Are all the shocks the same ? I would like to change the rear 4 shocks to Koni and at the same time replace the two air bags just have to make sure in get the right parts.  Looks like the 6 rear air bags are the same ? .. I need to change the two just forward of the rear wheels
Thanks for the input ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:26:24 PM by Paul Bedoe »

Paul Bedoe

Re: 05 Patriot Thunder air bags and shocks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:05 PM »
Was not able to get numbers off old shocks but I did discover 6 rear shocks and from the forum I need Koni 8805-1005SP1 since my bolts are 3/4 “

Now I just need the rear airbag number

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 02:04:42 AM »
Another forum gave me the tag axle air spring number

IR12 492

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 01:00:13 AM »
Just finished all 6 rear shocks and the two airbags .... not a tough job happy to do it at home with hd impacts

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:58:22 AM »
Paul
I missed this post entirely.  Glad you got er done. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 11:54:13 PM »
The coach came with 4 Koni up front and 8 new air bags mystery why they did not do 10.... so I found 6 Koni for the rear delivered for $180 each and the 2 air bags for $120 ( continental ) I was going to have my boys help but in for a penny in for a pound.  I threw on the coveralls and changed the 6 shocks and 2 air bags .... tied up two hanging lines to the trans... changed a couple hose clamps.... hit the drive shaft with grease....needed two new air fittings on the bags and new nuts....and I found my air pressure regulator for the tag was bad so I changed it...

The ride is amazing better went on a 5 mile humpy test ride  ... and filled it for $2.89 a gallon...

I can only guess what the labor would have been on the work above and I know the job was done to perfection and yes wish I was 20 years younger doing the heavy work 🤠

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
And FYI I have zero nada 0 faith in bilsteins on my last coach I snapped two shafts driving thru NY ... these Koni are at least double the shaft diameter also when I removed the bilsteins I grabbed the cylinder and pulled bending each bilstein when I did so