Author Topic: Caging the brakes  (Read 5335 times)

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
Caging the brakes
« on: April 17, 2021, 02:53:54 AM »
I can't get my coach started right now and it needs to be moved.  There is no air pressure so the brakes are all on.  I understand that it's possible to put air into the air tank from an external source.  Where does the external source connect to the air tank?  I'd prefer to do this rather than caging all of the brakes.  I'm asking incase the tow truck driver doesn't know where to connect.

Thanks

MJ
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Caging the brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 04:23:44 AM »
On ours the air coupler is next to the bleeder valves next to the batteries and fuel filter. Plug in your compressor air hose there. Using two male air fittings coupled together. Same coupler the tow driver will have to use. Some coaches have it up front next to the generator
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I'll let them know to bring a coupler that will work.

MJ
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 04:14:38 AM »
If the air input valve is the same one that can be used to attach a hose to inflate the tires then that didn't worked when we tried it today.  I thought it was the place you described as there are also 5 other valves each with a turn key that releases air when turned.  Maybe I have the wrong place?

MJ
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:23:19 AM by Michael Hannan »
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »
Michael, the tow truck driver will have to remove the drive line if you plan to tow with drive wheel down
or will have to put your motorhome on a platform lowboy trailer. Damage will happen to your Allison
transmission if driveline is not removed. The tow truck drivers are experienced in removing the driveline. Last note: look into your Allison transmission book and that subject is spelled very clear.
Dave Atherton Retired Caterpillar Mechanic

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
Thanks Dave.  Should the air tank have been filling with air when he connected his compressor?  Also, I only need to have it towed about 10' right now so that work can be done between my coach and the bluff I am backed up against.  Does that change disconnecting the drive line?

MJ
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:56:57 PM by Michael Hannan »
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »
Micheal
Towing it 10 feet won't hurt the transmission but to tow anything more than fifty feet you want to remove the drive shaft or axle shafts to stop the transmission from turning with the wheels .

You should be able to air up your tanks from the fitting in the service bay

Did I miss something Why does the coach not move under its own power maybe we can help you get it running to avoid a tow bill.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:10 PM »
I'm afraid that ,my lack of knowledge may have led to a seized engine. I have BCAA (similar to AAA) that will cover the tow.  Thanks for the transmission towing info.

MJ

Micheal
Towing it 10 feet won't hurt the transmission but to tow anything more than fifty feet you want to remove the drive shaft or axle shafts to stop the transmission from turning with the wheels .

You should be able to air up your tanks from the fitting in the service bay

Did I miss something Why does the coach not move under its own power maybe we can help you get it running to avoid a tow bill.
Eric
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »
By seized your saying the engine won't crank over ?
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
Yes that's right.  I started it to move it. The check engine and engine trouble lights came on. It stalled out a few seconds after running.  When I tried to start it again, there was a clunk noise like the starter was trying to spin but couldn't.  I checked the oil and there was only a touch of oil on the bottom of the dipstick. I live in this full time and it hasn't moved in 4 years so checking the oil didn't seem to be important.  Stupid me.  My un-educational guess is that I seized the engine.  This is all on me.

MJ

By seized your saying the engine won't crank over ?
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
Micheal
Have you check for fault codes  if you had a check engine light there should be a fault code which might give you some inside into your failure.
You can pull fault codes using the cruise control switches and check engine lamp.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

William Jordan

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:20 PM »
Not related to the question but if you can still see any oil on the dipstick, there is still a lot of oil in there. I doubt that seized anything. Think positive 👍

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 10:32:31 PM »
William that's what I was thinking but his description doesn't sound good
I was hoping the codes could tell us if he had a low oil pressure code 24 , or wheather there may be something else wrong.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 11:41:08 PM »
Success on releasing the park brake by adding air with a compressor. So I have moved the required distance.  No I haven't checked for codes yet.  I'll have to pull up the procedure From my files and do so.  Thanks everyone for the help in getting my this far.  I'll check back with the codes. A new stater is still pricey but not as much as repairing a seized engine.  Fingers crossed.

MJ

Micheal
Have you check for fault codes  if you had a check engine light there should be a fault code which might give you some inside into your failure.
You can pull fault codes using the cruise control switches and check engine lamp.
Eric
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12