Author Topic: 2006 Patriot Thunder won't start  (Read 4822 times)

Tom James

2006 Patriot Thunder won't start
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:33:02 PM »
Hi,
2006 Patriot Thunder 525 Cat c-13 and Allison 4000 trans
I am in the process or replacing my coach batteries and removed the chassis batteries also.  I have since re installed the chassis batteries and it will not start.  The transmission pad does not light now, nor the check engine light.  From what I have read, I could have blown a fuse in the transmission module.  I cannot seem to be able to find the location of this module.  I have removed the panel in the console below the shift pad and cannot find anything in there.  Where else could this be hiding?
Thanks

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: 2006 Patriot Thunder won't start
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Tom James

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks Frank,
I already read that one and it does not help.  Mine does not have that panel in the battery bay.  Still looking for the transmission control module.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »
Tom
Are you sure you have all the battery cables back in the right spot ( check behind the battery box you wouldn't be the first one to drop one behind the bad and miss it)

Second check for online fuse holders tie rapped to the cable bundle at the batteries there should be one ten amp fuse for the engine ECM and another for the Transmission TCM.
Without power to the TCM the ECM will not get a neutral safety signal from the TCM and will not allow a start signal to the starter.

Is it possible you reversed a cable polarity or have one of the positive cables connected to the negitive terminal.

Can you get us a picture of the batteries and cable configuration.
Well do what we can to help
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 12:09:22 AM »
   Tom,
You may want to check the 200 amp fuses, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:15:34 AM »
Tom,

Along with the other suggestions I would look at Battery voltage.  The can go below 12+ volts quickly.  Or you may want to try the boost switch to combine all batteries.  Before I got a echo charger my chassis batteries would loose charge and the MH would not turn over without a jump box or the boost.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 12:31:42 AM »
Tom,

I’ve attached an image of the chassis battery connections for our 2006 PT.

Your TCM is located in the first pass-through bay, driver’s side ceiling next to the HWH leveling controller. It’s between the frame rails so you would need to take the ceiling down to access it. I don’t think that there are any fuses in the TCM but there are in the VIM. I’ve looked in all of the ‘normal’ places in our PT for the VIM and have yet to find it.

If you don’t have a check engine light when you turn the key on you probably don’t have power to the ECM. With the key in the run position, do you see any engine/trans information on your Aladdin system?

Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Tom James

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:36:40 AM »
Eric,
Thanks for your reply and help.
Here are a couple of photos of the batteries now.  Also a photo of behind them.  The red and black wires are for the old and new solar wiring.  They are not hooked up yes as I have not installed the Coach batteries. I am afraid that I have inadvertently shorted something out and have blown a fuse somewhere.  The transmission pad does not light, so I understand that there is a fuse in the tcu that could cause these problems.  I just cannot find the tcu and have looked everywhere I can think of.  I have to send these photos separately.
Thanks Again

Tom James

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 01:01:08 AM »
Scott,
The check engine light does not light and the Aladdin system does not come on at all.  I crawled in the first pass thru bay and found the HWH levering controller, but no TCM.  Or a VIM, I think that is what I understand has the fuses in it.  I have looked everywhere I can think of with no luck so far.
Thanks for the reply and wish me luck!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 01:32:02 AM »
Tom, Did you look in the rear run box, I had a issue with my 06 PT that the run/start board had a short in it. I don't remember if the trans pad would lite up or not, but with the key on none of the lights in the rear run box would light up, pushed the board around and everything would light up. Just a thought on your issue.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 02:21:38 AM »
Tom
At the rear run board the large terminals at the bottom check to see if you have power to the bottom left one
If there is no power there move to the one to it's right if there is power on it  check the reset able circuit breaker just above  right next to the big boy solenoid.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Tom James

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 02:54:07 AM »
Eric,
Are you talking about the ANL fuses?  If so, they are all hot.  If not, see the photo and let me know which terminals you are talking about.
Thanks

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 03:50:18 AM »
Tom
Sorry Ive been looking at a schematic for a newer system .

Ok you have power to all of those ANL fuses next move up to the front electrical bay and see if we have power there
Can you get a picture of it for me

Check  with the ignition key on to see if you have power to both sides of the run solenoid at the bottom of the buss bars in the front run board
If so check the top circuit breaker on the right hand buss bar it should be marked  CB 21 engine ECM and have 12 volts at it .
Let me know what you find
Eric
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:05:26 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 04:02:51 AM »
Tom,

It looks like your coach has the ‘early’ style rear run box and possibly the front run box as well. The difference is explained in your owner’s manual starting on page 252. Our coach has the late style front and rear run box, so the image of my battery setup is probably of little help.

I think that Eric was referencing the late and more common style run box.

Your TCM may also be in a different location, but here’s an image of the TCM location for our 06 PT.  You’ve got to dig for it, it’s buried behind a rat’s nest of wires. The TCM, ABS, and Aladdin Bridge are all in that area. The VIM is also supposed to be in the same area, but I haven’t located it.

Also, your Aladdin system won’t work without house power.

Edit: the image label is supposed to be HWH, not HWN.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Tom James

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 04:10:29 AM »
Scott,
Thanks so much.  As they say "A picture is worth 1000 words".  And I have not installed the new house batteries yet.  Do you think that could be a possibility of my problem?