Author Topic: Annoying generator issue  (Read 1991 times)

James Hobbs

Annoying generator issue
« on: May 20, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »
Hello everyone,
We are getting ready to hit the road full time in our 04 PT this September. I seem to be chasing gremlins with the coach, nothing too serious, but annoying none the less! I have the Onan 10K generator, it works great. But the issue I am having is the start button on the dashboard. It has always worked fine until now. Usually you push the switch, the light flashes while it primes, then the genny fires up. Now the light comes on, no flashing and it won't start the generator. The one on the generator itself works perfectly, I can also have the invertor control start the generator. The dashboard switch is the most convenient way to start it.

I would sure appreciate some help and ideas of what to look for.
Thanks,
Jim

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Annoying generator issue
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
When I cold start our generator from the 3-way dash switch - especially in colder weather, I always hold the bottom side of the switch down for 15 to 20 seconds or longer, then push down the upper side of the switch to start the engine.  Pushing the bottom side of the switch down for 15 to 20 seconds lets the pump give a longer prime to the carburetor.  If the generator is warm from running previously, then I simply push the top of the switch down to start the engine.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

James Hobbs

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »
Hi David, Thanks for this, unfortunately I have tried that as well. The switch doesn't seem to work at all. Even though it worked 2 weeks ago!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
If the start/stop switch on the generator, the start/stop switch in the bedroom, and the inverter/Silverleaf/AGS start/stop features all work, then the obvious place to look is the dash switch itself or the wires connected to the switch.  Reach under the dash and wiggle the wires going into the switch and/or if you can reach the connectors on the wires near the switch, then wiggle them too.  Several years ago, I had to replace the switch that raises/lowers my ceiling-mounted TV... so those switches do go bad occasionally.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 07:30:34 PM »
James,
I just had to replace the dash geni switch on my coach as the lamp burned out and is not a replaceable item. The original switch was a Carling V8D1 with 2 bulbs and a dimmer input. It is no longer available according to my source. I replaced it with a VLD1-A60B. Purchased it at Rocker Switch Pros (843-297-8648) along with an actuator removal tool for $21.51 including shipping. Highly recommend the tool to prevent breaking of the actuator tabs. The new switch will not use the same pins for the wiring but they supply a diagram, making hookup easy, especially with the wire labeling from the geni. This switch does not accept the dimmer input but that's no big deal IMHO.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »
James,

as David said, do the rest of the start/stop switches in the coach work? If they are all inoperable, there is a plug running along side the generator that sometimes gets unplugged as you extend/retract the generator. This plug controls all the start/stop switches in the coach and when it gets unplugged the only start/stop switch that will work is the one on the generator itself. A few well placed wire ties will secure it out of the way when extending/retracting the slide. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."