Author Topic: Racor primary fuel filter leak  (Read 2187 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Racor primary fuel filter leak
« on: May 31, 2021, 08:22:07 PM »
   Greetings,
 I have been chasing a fuel seepage issue for the last year. I performed the Racor upgrade replacement along with 4 o-rings. This includes the 2 that came with the kit and the 2 that they don't know anything about. Gerald Ferris gave me a heads up on those O-rings #114. Well as it turns out, The H20 purge tubing had dried out and become very brittle after 21 years. The crack in the tubing was up at the fitting where it attaches to the purge solenoid. (see the arrow on the picture) no possible way to find this with out removing the whole assembly away from the wall. Hope this helps, Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Racor primary fuel filter leak
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 05:29:31 PM »
Fred
On my coach I just unscrewed the two Allen headed machine screws ( you can see I your picture) that hold the solenoid valve in place and dropped it out from below. There was just enough wire to allow the solenoid go be brought out to where you can work on it.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:33:15 PM »
    Eric,
I am well aware of the 2 allen screws that retain the solenoid. The issue I was dealing with was the 1 drop of diesel that took 48 hours to appear which was hidden back behind the housing. That is why I removed the 2-1/4-20 bolts so I could see behind the housing. My point is there are many older units like ours that need that purge line replaced.
   Respectfully, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 12:14:24 AM »
Fred
Your right
the line on mine was almost crystalized from age.  I thought that likely the diesel fuel didn't like the plastic much but maybe it's just age as the ice maker line went the same way.

On my unit I still had a very small seepage from the upper "O" rings on the sight glass after changing the sight glass and all the O rings I ended up using a drop of liquid hydralic sealer on the O ring surfaces to seal it better.
The seepage would take close to a week to appear making it all but impossible to track down I originally thought it could be the water purge line but eliminated that by removing the sediment bowl and spinning a regular filter on in place of the Raycor temporarily . That allowed me to diagnose the leak and replace the purge line while I was at it .

I amagin with the age of these units now the purge line on all of them need to be replaced .
Because of the location of these units ( lower than the fuel tank) if the line where to break off the entire 100 gallon fuel tank could and likely would syphon out onto the ground creating a terrible  mess possibly with environmental and legal consequences if not caught quickly enough.

Thank you Fred for bring it to our attention

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks