Author Topic: Replacing VOSS fuel fittings, need help  (Read 2054 times)

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
Replacing VOSS fuel fittings, need help
« on: June 07, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »
I need some assistance from those that have changed out the VOSS snap-lock fuel fittings that Monaco used with the nylon fuel lines.

I have successfully changed out the three VOSS fittings in the engine compartment (fuel filter & fuel pump inlet). The snap-lock fitting on the fuel pump inlet was loose, it was not clocked correctly for the sharp bend in the fuel line, I’m guessing that it was never fully seated.

My question, what have others done when replacing the VOSS fitting at the fuel tank?

I have read several BAC posts related to replacing the VOSS fittings and I have not seen any mention of this, but on our coach, the VOSS fitting at the fuel tank is also the fuel pickup tube (see attached image). I was expecting that the pickup tube would be attached to the boss welded to the tank. I’m wondering if our tank fitting is different from what others have encountered or am I missing something that should be really obvious.

If someone else has had to modify/replace their fuel pickup tube when replacing the VOSS fittings, I’d be interested to know how that was accomplished.

A search of the internet shows several options for replacing the pickup tube, a replacement would need to be 1/2“ NPT for the tank boss x 1/2“ NPTF for a compression adaptor for the fuel line.  Also, the tube will need to be flexible as there’s not enough headroom to insert a rigid tube.

Of course, the one push-lock fitting brittle enough to break a tab was the one at the tank. I was able to temporarily secure the fitting, but it must be replaced.

Thanks
Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Replacing VOSS fuel fittings, need help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
Scott I know that Dave Atherton uses air brake fitting and those member that have made the change swear by them. If you look under "Submit your Ask Dave Questions "He will get back to you.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »
Thanks Jerry. I should have mentioned that I did use the Parker air brake compression fittings that have been suggested in several posts, including posts by Dave. Not realizing that the VOSS fitting at the tank was also the pickup tube, I was expecting to use an air brake fitting there as well.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »
Scott, I replace the pickup tube on my 06 PT last year, what I did was take the Parker 1/2 NPT fitting and bore out the pipe end to accept a barbed tube fitting and silver solder the barbed fitting into the Parker fitting. I used a piece of Pex tube for the tube into the bottom of the tank and cut the bottom on a 45 angle.
Where are you located, I think I still have some of the Parker 90 fittings and could make one up for you so all you would have to do is get some Pex tube.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 04:33:03 AM »
Thank you, Lee. You confirmed what should have been obvious to me, that is, replacing the VOSS fuel tank fitting will require replacing the pickup tube. I really appreciate your offer to make a fitting, that is extremely generous. Before I read your reply, I ordered a ‘marine grade’ pickup tube. It is a 1/2“ male NPT x 1/2“ female NPT with a 5/8” nylon tube. This should accept a straight air brake compression fitting (5/8T x ½ NPT) for the fuel line, not as clean as your setup but I think it will work.

I will update this topic when the job is completed.

Again, thank you Jerry and Lee for the assistance!!

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:48:45 PM »
Scott, Good to hear you have found a part that will work, the offer still stands if your order doesn't work out. Post the info on the marine part you ordered.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 04:20:54 PM »
Lee, here’s the link to the pickup tube that I ordered. The link shows 16”, they had a 24” in stock.

Tanks Inc. in Monticello, Iowa
https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=788/mode=prod/prd788.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKdBVa-tX07qw2kbDZTITB5qgln929EhGxxlb8eoL8wElgtMFcd-52MaAtK5EALw_wcB
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 08:10:05 PM »
That fitting should do the trick, my tank is 18" deep and I think I remember I made the down tube 17" with the bottom cut at a 45
That outfit has about everything one could need for a fuel system.