Author Topic: A/C Service  (Read 2149 times)

Ron Rittenhouse

• BAC Member
A/C Service
« on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:21 AM »
Just purchased 2000 Beaver Marquis 40 footer. Does A/C system need recharged/serviced for optimal operation? If so, will get service appointment scheduled. Thanks. New to Forum...if not submitting questions correctly, please advise. Ron Rittenhouse
2000 Marquis
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: A/C Service
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 01:27:01 AM »
    Ron,
Do you have the original basement air conditioner? FYI you may want to add your coach info to your signature so when you have a question, we know what you have. Welcome to the forum! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Ron Rittenhouse

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 01:49:17 AM »
Ron - If you're asking about the coach's dash AC which runs off a compressor on the engine, then yes, you probably need to periodically recharge (depending upon age and leaks) it with coolant.  If it's not cooling, then get it recharged.  If the recharge doesn't last for a year or so, then have the system examined for leaks.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 03:07:24 AM »
Ron,
Depends which system you are concerned about; Dash or House. The dash air is like a car's system. I seem to remember the high and low pressure ports are in the engine compartment at the compressor. The house system, if OEM, is in the basement and made by SCS. It is just like the unit in a stick house. The only access w/o pulling the unit is the panel you can see when you open the AC bay door. The high and low side ports may be available there. I don't remember though. The return air filter is often overlooked on this unit because it is in the basement. It's on the back wall of one of the passenger side bays (pretty much under the return vent  in the coach). One needs to remove the panel at the back of the bay to access the filters. Recommend you check yours before going further.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 03:54:53 AM »
On our 2004 Marquis Sapphire, I have recharged the dash AC system a couple of times.  I do not have the proper equipment and knowledge to do it right but I did purchase the hose with a gauge that gives some feedback.  On our coach, I made the attachment to the line about one foot above the front slideout generator, behind and very near the front cap.  I have added one or two small cans each time and it did make a difference.  But at best, the dash AC will do little to cool a 45' long coach.  If it's over 80 degrees inside the coach, I start the generator and set the three roof ACs at 70 degrees.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:40 PM »
I did the same as David a few times on the '04 Monterey we had.   After reading the instructions (!) it was clear that the compressor needs to be running while adding the refrigerant.   Since the inlet was near the genset at the front I had people stand at the back to tell my by cell phone when the compressor was cycling.  Peter Bradish was one of them!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
Ron
Factory placement of the high and low pressure ports for dash air varied.  Just front or just rear or both.  You will see a red cap and a blue one in line to the compressor.  Buy a 22 oz can of refrigerant with stop leak.  With engine running turn the air cond on max with fan on full.  Remove the gauge from the can and attach to blur connector.  Push it on fully.  You should get an accurate reading in a minute or so.  If it is below the green zone reattach the gauge to the can and the blue connector.  Turn the can upside down and pull the trigger.  Holding the trigger tilt the can left to right and back several times.  Continue until the gauge is in the green zone but not more.  Too much can damage the system.  Once in the green let it run for 30 minutes or so and check air temp at dash.
I am no expert but this is what worked for me last month.
Welcome to the family.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Ron Rittenhouse

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
Thanks, all.  We have the basement cabin system. Will search for access in cargo area to check for filters. Thanks!
2000 Marquis
C12