Author Topic: SMI Air Force One Question  (Read 13729 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
SMI Air Force One Question
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
Hey my friends, I am having an Air Force One supplemental brake system installed on my car. Our 2005 Patriot Thunder has an air line already run to the back of the coach by the factory.  My question to any of you who have this system is, do I need to install their Air Tank system on the coach or is the factory installed system good enough?  Thanks for any advice!  Larry
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:30:06 PM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: SMI Air Force One Question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
It has to be a part the air pressure lines for the brake system, and not from any other source.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:30:45 PM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »
I assume the factory air line running to the back of the coach is from the brake air system. Am I wrong about this?
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
It is next to the wire plug in so I assume it has to be from the brake air system.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
Larry,
My 2000 Marquis came with a factory installed air line to the hitch area, and it tied into the rear air brakes, so I used it for the air source for the M&G brake system on my Jeep. The system works perfectly.

You can follow the line and see where it ties into, or remove the plug, and be certain that it has air pressure only when the brakes are applied.  However, I feel fairly certain that it will be and air brake line just like my coach.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:32:50 PM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Doesn't the AF1 system require a line from the brake actuator and from the high pressure tank?  I assume their system uses the coach's brake actuator line only to trigger air from the coach'es storage tank to be used through their own regulator to the towed vehicle.  If true, my question is what happens if you use the factory line and the air line to your towed vehicle is compromised?  I have the AF1 and use their coach mounted equipment.

Gil
08 Contessa

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to call their tech support but they have left for the day. I will call them tomorrow to find out exactly what the purpose of this tank is and if it needs to be installed. I am sure it has a purpose. Thanks again my friends!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:26:42 AM »
I see what your saying Gill, So it is like a safety system to keep your coach air from bleeding to zero because of a problem with the toad. That makes sense. The dealer that is installing my unit must be planing to install this on our car because he said he did not need the coach to install the AF1.  This is there first time to install one,  Guess I will call tech support anyway tomorrow to find if this is acceptable. Thanks again for all the response.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:30:23 AM by 3358 »
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »
I hope you call SMI, because both the toad and the motorhome required parts to be installed.  If your installer doesn't follow SMI's installation instructions you could have a problem.  I have the SMI on my Contessa and it required both.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
Thanks Leah, I did call and you are right. We are taking the car in this morning and I am going to have this discussion with them. Definitely has to be done right so I will have to bring the Beaver back to get the tank installed. Thanks for the feedback!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
Just an update. The dealer decided this was more involved than they liked so we are having another dealer do the installation who has done it before. Makes me feel better about it. They will be installing the air tank to the motorhome as it should be. Thanks again everyone!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
Last Update, Karen's RV in Anchorage got the system installed for me. It was their first time to install the AF1 and they said it was a lot more involved than the M&G system they normally install. They charged me 8 hours labor but it all seems to be in good order. We towed our car home last night and it worked perfectly. I am so glad it's done and so far I am very pleased with it's performance. The installation might be painful but the connect / disconnect is very painless. Thanks again all for your input, it was extremely helpful in getting this all worked out. Have a great day wherever you are....Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that it took 8 hours.  That is double (hours) what it cost me to have a SMI dealer install it.  I guess prior experience has it's benefits.  Mine was done in Demming, NM.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:36 AM »
Yes Leah, I am sure that is why it took twice the labor. But, considering there was no one in Anchorage that had ever installed one I am just thankful Karen's was willing to give it a go. As far as I am concerned when it comes to safety on the road it's worth it to pay a little extra to make sure it's done right while they are learning.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Larry
Am sure you will really enjoy the SMI, gives one much more confidence when braking.  I had a Brake Buddy before.  It as a pain in the rear, and even though set to their recommended settings, it ruined my rotors 3 times.  

What/where did you mount the blue LED lights in the cab?  While at Bend Beaver Serv, we found that in my
Contessa, there was a connection available thru the pigtail (I think) so that I could mount the light on the dash so that I KNEW WHEN THE BRAKES IN THE TOAD were coming on.  SMI's suggested placement on/in the windshield of toad was not adequate at all.  Never could see it in the MH rear mirror.  
That is the only improvement that I think SMI should make to their system.

Anyway.....ENJOY.