Author Topic: FMCA Roadside Assist  (Read 3235 times)

Jerry Pattison

FMCA Roadside Assist
« on: August 13, 2021, 02:20:38 AM »
Hi, all!  Sharon and I are heading out to San Diego for a quick week  in the Coach.  It is only 5 hours drive.   I need to see how much travel I can put up with while I am under treatment for this crappy cancer.  This trip is in between sessions, so I will not miss anything.   I noticed today that the coach is leaning a bit towards the driver's side.  I have read most all of the threads here on leaking air, leaking air bags, 6 packs, etc.  So, in preparation, I am asking if any of y'all can recommend a reliable service company in the San Diego area that could take a look at my system.  i am not able any longer to crawl under our coach, so will need some help.  1998 Marquis, Magnum chassis.  By the way, it seems to  level fine when the engine is running, but rather quickly reverts to a sunken driver's side after shutting down.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. Be safe, healthy, happy, and Grace to all y'all!  By the way, we depart on Aug 16 and return Aug 23, so there is just a bit of a hurry!!   Thanks. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:28:14 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: FMCA Roadside Assist
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 04:27:08 AM »
Jerry,
No San Diego providers listed on our Service Providers list but RV Service reviews   http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=CA
gives EW Truck and Equipment gets excellent reviews.
Steve
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:27:52 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 12:22:28 AM »
Well, we made it half-way to San Diego before the left side went "all the way to the bottom"!  I attempted to get help from the FMCA road service folks......what a joke that was!!  Tomorrow, I will go sign up for the Good Sam road service.  The effort with FMCA roadside assist was an experience y'all don't want to repeat.  Inexperienced dispatchers, no real understanding of motor homes, one dispatcher was going to send a automotive wrecker/tire changer service.  Thankfully, the automotive service called me first.  They had not even been told I was a motor home!!   Can you believe that??   I could not!  Seems that the go-to solution is a tow.  Not for me.  I got back on the road and came the rest of the way and we are now parked in the RV resort.  Level.  We get La Mesa RV on-site service on Thursday.  We shall see what they can accomplish here in an RV park.  Back to FMCA roadside assist.....give them a call with a potential problem and see how they respond.  Or, take my recommendation, and find another!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:27:07 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray

Jerry Pattison

FMCA Roadside Assist
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 12:24:31 AM »
In a few words, FMCA Roadside Assist is not.  It is a joke!  Good luck if you are broken down on the road.  I find it hard to believe that FMCA will put up with such poor service.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 12:56:55 AM »
Sounds like this message needs to go to Rett Porter.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:43:17 AM »
I agree, Steve, and, it will.  Like tomorrow, unable right now.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
What happened?
I have the FMCA Roadside Assist too - but have not had to use it.

William Jordan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 04:13:44 PM »
FMCA Roadside is in fact contracted out to "SAFE RIDE" a provider of roadside services to all manner of Organizations. ALL Roadside asst plans offered by organizations dealers etc use one of only a few actual call centers in the country that contract out under the suppliers name.  SafeRide is also behind Escapees roadside (at a lower cost than FMCA by the way).
 Good Sam if you look at the forums also has a litany of complaints. When I had Good sams and used them the person answered the phone "Allstate Roadside" and then corrected herself when she realized what line I had called in on. Service depends on if the person on the phone knows what they are doing and more important where you are as these roadside services only call local service people to come and help you if they will accept the roadsides much-discounted payment.
The problem is if you need a tow it can and likely will cost 1,000$ or much more. I've used my phone myself with better results for actual roadside repair.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 12:06:04 AM »
You guys are not helping my confidence in quitting Coach-Net last year and going with Safe-Ride via my Overland Insurance office.  Coach-Net got too expensive and Overland's Safe-Ride was less than FMCA's Safe-Ride.  Our Coach-Net experience was good enough, but hardly used.  Their long-term subscription was now more limited and more costly, where Overland's version was longer and cheaper overall.  I wasn't hearing such scathing critiques of Safe-Ride at the time I chose it.

At the rate we're going with the doctor appts this year, we may not be on the road soon to fret about it anyway.   :o

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 12:47:49 AM »
Well, I signed up for Good Sam roadside assistance program today.  They are using the same providers (it seems) that they did for years.  I had opportunity to use them several years ago with no problem.   We shall see if/when I need service again.  It just seemed to me to be prudent to spend $120 to have an option for service given my situation.  Let us hope all turns out well.  Blessings and Grace.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 08:26:18 PM »
Our one and only experience with FMCA Road Side Assist ended well, but it didn't start out that way. 

When we had a steer tire go flat in the middle of 'no where' Montana, I called FMCA Road Side Assist for help. After explaining our situation I was placed onhold for several minutes (probably 15). When the rep came back on line she said that she was having a problem arranging a tow and asked if we could spend the night where we were at. After much discussion, I was able to convince the young gal that I did not need a tow, I needed roadside tire repair service. 

The good part; three hours later our tire was repaired...we didn't pay a dime.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock