Author Topic: Engine and engine compartment cleaning  (Read 2188 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Engine and engine compartment cleaning
« on: September 01, 2021, 07:11:35 PM »
Having traveled on perhaps too many gravel roads (hard to avoid in Montana) I find my engine and engine compartment very dusty.  I have been told not to use a pressure washer because of sensitive electronics.  Using air pressure to blow out the dirt and dust creates a dust storm in the coach.  Would using a garden hose under city water pressure likely cause any harm?  I assume driving down the highway during heavy rain the engine and compartment gets pretty wet so water alone shouldn't hurt.  Any advice?
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
Rick
A garden hose should be ok the goal here is to avoid using pressure which could force water into electrical connectors , solenoids etc.

The best way to wash the engine is to first warm the engine up before washing it this will help evaporator away the residual water after the wash.

Remember the ECM is located on the passenger side of the engine block try to avoid directly bossing down the ECM and connection to it.

Although it's not recommend practice many people use a pressure washer set to a lower pressure setting or spray pattern to wash the engine compartments down by using care to avoid the electrical connections.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 11:01:48 PM »
You can always, if the biscuit burner will permit, run a hose in through a bedroom/back window and gently rinse the engine down from the top.  I’d spread a plastic tarp or something around the hatch(es) and limit nozzle pressure to minimize sprayback.  You might put plastic bags over the engine’s electronic attachments.  A preliminary spray and soak of Simple Green Motorsports (NOT regular Simple Green) may assist with any oily areas.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simple-Green-Extreme-Motorsports-Cleaner-and-Degreaser-32oz/5001171453?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-google-_-pla-_-127-_-traditionalcleaning-_-5001171453-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubCz_-Le8gIV1Rt9Ch2BsQjYEAQYASABEgLgOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
Rick the "Simple Green" that Joel spoke of is Ideal for use on your engine and our "aluminum radiator" don't use the regular simple green.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 12:32:00 AM »
Rick
I have used a spray bottle with Dawn dish liquid diluted and pre soaked and then rinsed with clear water and a pump sprayer.  Takes just a bit longer but you protect your electronics better.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!