Author Topic: Timing cover seal gasket replacement  (Read 1237 times)

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
Timing cover seal gasket replacement
« on: September 19, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »
So I am ready and have my seal in hand finally to do this timing cover seal job.   I am mechanically inclined and not scared of by tough work, so am totally able to do this….but it is the first time. Anyways, 3 questions slinger in my mind.
1 is there a bunch of oil behind that cover?  Should I drain any thing first.

2 there is a hose that runs across the front that is kind of in the way… either hydraulic or fuel…. I cannot tell which, leaning toward hydralic from the huei but just not sure…anyone know for sure before I just temporarily remove it?

3 what torque do these several bolts need to be at when reassembly begins?   Not just the cover bolts but also the balancer and Alternator mount assembly bolts.

Thank you in advance.
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Mike Shumack

Re: Timing cover seal gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 04:14:37 PM »
No oil will come out when you pull the seal.

I hope you have enough room to work (I assume you will have to pull the radiator - if you have a rear mounted radiator).
Here's some screen shots from the manual (3126E). I can e-mail you the manual. It's too large to attach here.

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
Re: Timing cover seal gasket replacement
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
Mike,    Thanks.   I am removing the cover as I type this.    ;D.

Side mount radiator and got pulleys and alternator disconn and move away.   Decent progress for a couple hrs work if that.

Mine is a 3126b and it’s amazing the differences CAT made across this engine models.  The variants of 3126 are far and wide it seems.

The pics are helpful, interesting and thank you for further assurance .
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited