Author Topic: 1996 Patriot Savanah - LP Onan Generator Service Position  (Read 1944 times)

Vittorio Bares

1996 Patriot Savanah - LP Onan Generator Service Position
« on: December 16, 2021, 09:59:15 PM »
I've done a bit of search sleuthing on the subject and the only indication of how to put the generator in the 'service position' i found, indicated that it is actually not possible because BCS welded something to the chassis that prevents sliding the unit out of the front ...

Is this true? I expected to be able to just slide the unit out and service, oil - generally inspect it?

Is there a DIY on servicing this generator?

My apologies if this has been discussed - but search as I might, was not able to put the required terms in a search to extract the info.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: 1996 Patriot Savanah - LP Onan Generator Service Position
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:43:49 AM »
I don't have a gas generator, but instead a diesel in my 98 Patriot Savannah, and it is on a slide.  I can service it by running the slide out.  The switch to do so is in the electrical compartment under the drivers area.   Once it is out I can get to all of the drain points and filters from underneath, or to the Coolant fill from the top.   

When I had to remove the generator (7.5 qd) I had to take the front piece off of the slide to then unbolt and remove the generator. 

I am not sure if yours is set up different or not, but on mine service may be tight but it is not that bad of a job.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Vittorio, I can’t speak to your generator “service position” as our coaches are different, but Carl’s is close.  Our genset has a switch in the frontmost streetside bay (“electrical bay”) that activates the genset slide out or in.  If BCS modified your coach for a prior owner somewhere along the line that prevents any similar access to the genset, I’d call them to see if they can provide enlightenment.

As to using the Forum’s search feature, I’d recommend using the “Search” tab in the toolbar below your name at the upper left of this page.  The other more obvious search field at the upper far right usually is a lot less fruitful.  The “Search” tab opens a separate window for entering more search parameters as needed.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Vittorio Bares

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
Hey all - thanks for the input!

I was able (with Jeff's help) to locate the switch (in the image if it renders).

I've had that bay open before, but never took note of that switch. The front outside bay, with all the fuses, just below the drivers seat.

Snow will fly here in NH tomorrow - so I suspect, when I put the batteries back in, in the spring I'll take the next step to seeing if there are additional niggles that need to be worked out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 08:20:45 PM by Vittorio Bares »

Jeffrey Antonelli

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 04:11:52 AM »
I have an Onan 6500 LP in my 1996 Patriot. When I bought it one year ago, zip had a mechanic service the gen set. So here is my noob question p: Is the coolant for the genset connected to the radiator at the rear of the Coach? Is it independent and have its own radiator? If it has its own radiator where do I look to find it?

Thanks! I’d like to do more of the service work myself now

Jeff Antonelli
1996 Patriot Yorktown

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 06:00:19 AM »
Vittorio,
You are welcome, happy to help out.

Happy New Year,
Jeff
96 33' Savannah
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 06:04:25 AM »
  Jeffrey,
  I believe the 6500LP is an air cooled propane engine if I'm not mistaken, similar to mine.
 There aren't any connections to be concerned about, only propane and electrical connections.

Happy New Year,
   Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B