Author Topic: Generator Slide Not Moving  (Read 1394 times)

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
Generator Slide Not Moving
« on: May 06, 2022, 03:09:45 AM »
  When I tried to extend the generator, I could hear the 12-volt motor whining but no movement of the generator slide.  The whining noise is present while selecting the extend or retract positions of the slide switch.  In crawling under the motorhome, I can see the slide motor is connected to an approximate 3-foot long rod that is attached to a locking plate at the nose of the motorhome.  It is my understanding that the slide action is accomplished solely by this motor & rod combination.  If so, it appears the gearing that connects the motor & rod has failed.  I have searched within this forum for any information addressing a similar occurrence and had no luck.

1.  Am I correct in stating the slide on my particular motorhome is controlled exclusively by the 12-volt motor and rod combination, versus hydraulic intervention?

2.  If yes, has anyone else experienced this and how did you go about repairing the gearing?  I see where two bolts will drop the motor and disconnect the locking plate.  Additionally, there are two wires running from the motor body to the wiring bay under the driver's seat.

I am very hesitant to remove the forward bolt and manually unlock the locking plate for fear I may not be able to re-engage it to secure the generator slide for travel.
  I've attached two photos.  One is showing the motor and rod combination while the second shows the locking plate connected at the end of the rod.
Mark & Wanda Hosier
45' 2003 Beaver Marquis Sapphire (Petunia)
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
Re: Generator Slide Not Moving
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:13:41 AM »
My apologies.  I sent this out without saying thank you in advance. 

Thank you very much.
Mark & Wanda Hosier
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:32:58 PM »
     Mark,
What does the label on the linear actuator motor say? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
Hi Fred.  I've attached a photo of the label.  Thank you.

Mark
Mark & Wanda Hosier
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »
   Mark,
I am not sure what happened to "Motion Industries" which is the manufacturer of your linear actuator. You have a couple of choices depending upon your mechanical ability. You could disconnect the shaft end and see if you can extend the gen for service and then resecure. You could document all the dimensions and find a close replacement rated for the load it is moving. Here is one I found on line for $65.00. Fred
http://knoppix.net/store/Motion-Systems-Corporation-Linear-Actuator-73465-400-6000rpm_272990825221.html
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Mark Hosier

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 08:05:45 PM »
Mark
If you remove the actuator assembly and unlatch the lock the generator should be able to pull out the amount of effort depends on what kind of shape the bearings it rolls on are in.

If you take out the actuator you can disassemble the motor from the actuator.
The litter tube of the actuator unscrews from the housing and will come out exposing the two bevel gears that drive the acme screw that extends the actuator .
I suspect you will find one or both gears are missing teeth or you may get off easy and find a bad thrust washer.

Note : the gear mesh rely on that tube being screwed into the right depth and in the case of my unit the screw jack had tighten up         
             causing the motor to unscrew the outer tube  pulling the gears came out of mesh ( motor ran but no movement).

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Mark Hosier

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 02:11:14 AM »
Thank you very much Fred and Eric.  Your advice will serve me well when I get enough downtime to tinker with it.  I will report my resolution so I  may help someone else in the future.

Mark
Mark & Wanda Hosier
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina