Author Topic: Basement door repair method to share  (Read 1332 times)

John Fitzgerald

Basement door repair method to share
« on: September 03, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »
One of my basement doors (6 foot long one)popped apart at the hinge area rear when the weld there failed.  After a repair with JB weld epoxy replacing the double sided foam tape and the weld I tried to reinstall the door, first by myself, which I couldn't do, then with help from my son, which also failed.  Getting the door at the correct angle for assembly and getting the hinge to move into the correct position just wasn't happening with us manually holding the door.  I realized that hanging the door with a strap from by my rolling engine hoist would allow the door angle and position to be adjusted until it was at the correct orientation, which I found to be slightly below horizontal.  This allowed the install to be simple as you can get under the door to check alignment, set the hinge together,  and install the keeper blocks without any hassle.  I know most folks don't own an rolling engine hoist but they can be rented as needed.  I will also use this method to remove basement doors when needed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 06:15:27 PM by John Fitzgerald »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carl Boger