Author Topic: Gas Struts for bed  (Read 1433 times)

Al Postma

• BAC Member
Gas Struts for bed
« on: July 01, 2023, 04:17:42 AM »
I searched for info on replacing the gas struts for the bed, all I saw is basically what I have been doing, a piece of wood to hold it open.  I replaced the struts that were on the bed with the same thinking the old ones were weak.  I was wrong, the new struts are even worse.  Has anyone found struts that replace what were installed originally with stronger struts?  I did step up from a 2x4 and have been using a wood closet rod, but I always hope the rod doesn't slip and pin me in.  Not something I would look forward to. Thanks for yourhelp.
2007 Beaver Contessa 42ft
Cummins 400hp
08 Hummer H-3 Alpha

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Gas Struts for bed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 01:32:20 PM »
Al
Depending on the mattress on your bed the weight varies so simply replacing your existing lift struts may no be effective as you have witnessed .
However the lift weight ratting should be written on the side of the lift struts near the rod end sometimes coded into the part number but it is usually there it may just be a case of picking a higher lift rating however be careful as the weak point may then become the attachment points as the bracket and swivel balls may not have been designed for that extra lift weight.
In my experience I have seen bed lift struts rated as high as 150 # each but as I said earlier it depends on the weight of the mattress and the amount of lead sound insulation in the engine cover .

The link below might be helpful

https://www.hatchlift.com/

https://www.gasspringsshop.com/gas-strut-for-rv-bed/

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Al Postma

• BAC Member
Re: Gas Struts for bed
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 03:55:05 AM »
Thank you, I haven't had the chance to look yet, but I will soon.  Thank you again.
2007 Beaver Contessa 42ft
Cummins 400hp
08 Hummer H-3 Alpha