Author Topic: shower door rail  (Read 1678 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
shower door rail
« on: August 13, 2023, 05:34:27 PM »
2002 Marquis round shower door rail has a plastic strip running the entire length of the top round rail. The roller that connects to the shower door roll along the rail. The plastic strip in the center of the rail lifted up in a 3-inch section and cause the roller to bind.  I tried to push the strip down but it will not connect to anything and just come up again. I thought to glue it down but under the plastic strip is hollow. I tried to stretch it to the side hoping it will push down and lay flat but it will not move left or right. It will lie down but need something to secure it and keep it down.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Re: shower door rail
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 10:01:12 PM »
Thank you I hope it fits.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 03:01:31 PM »
The strip on the top of my shower door has split near the rear end of the coach.  I purchased a replacement from eBay but have not installed it yet because the Scotch 88 electrical tape has held the plastic strip down for over a year.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 11:29:06 PM »
   Gentlemen, I have a question to ask? Do you travel with the door closed or open.
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 12:38:51 AM »
I assume the aforementioned gentlemen have the same shower enclosure that is found in our coach - a Cesana curved shower enclosure.  Our shower door is obviously designed to be closed when the coach is moving because it has a wire loop that holds the door firmly closed while traveling.  The wire loop has nothing to loop over when the door is open.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 04:44:35 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 02:13:43 AM »
   The follow discribes the error in the original engineering and travel instructions. The shower enclosure was designed for a house not a recreational vehicle. The curved sliding door weighs about 70 pounds. When closed or stored, the weight of the door is suspended by the 2 rollers from a single curved tube between the 2 fixed glass panels on each side. The shower is generally located above the rear drive axle. The issues became apparent after the warranty claims about rollers and cam adjustment constantly loosening and the top tube was bending downward from rough roads or potholes in the road. The suggested repair was to store the door in the open position above the fixed curved glass panel. When secured with upper and lower pins, the door now has the strength of a fixed panel to support the weight of the sliding door. Those of us that have this method of transit storage, have not had any issues with the shower. Enclosed are some photos of the pin locations.
Caution when drilling to avoid the tempered glass panels. Fred Brooks, retired luxury coach technician.
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 03:47:53 AM »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 01:05:05 PM »
I keep my door in the open position when traveling.  My door has straps to hold the door open or shut when traveling.  I use a 3 or 4 foot piece of duct tape to hold the door open on the road.  I put the tape vertically on the aluminum right where the sliding door meets the fixed panel.

I have seen the Fred Brooks pictures of the pins he uses to hold the door open but do not have the courage to drill holes in the doors with the glass so close.

Last year, before the duct tape procedure, our door bounced off the top rail when we hit a big bump in the road and when we stopped we discovered the intact door at a 45 degree angle in the shower.  PHEW!
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks