Author Topic: Hurricane Exhaust Fumes  (Read 6320 times)

Randy Perry

Hurricane Exhaust Fumes
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
I have another question regarding "Hurricane Heater Exhaust" My brother is parked on my right and just knocked on the door to ask if I was trying to kill him!? I looked out the door and the air was thick with exhaust and the smell of diesel. He said he had a Blue Bird that did the same thing and a nozzel needs to be serviced. Anybody have more info?

Thanks!

Gerald Farris

Re: Hurricane Exhaust Fumes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
Randy,
There are several issues that can cause your problem. To determine which one it is you will have to check the unit out. The most common one is a dirty nozzle, however the combustion fan can also cause the same conditions, with the fuel pressure regulator being a slight possibility also.

Gerald

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:40 AM »
Thanks Gerald, guess it's time for another trip to the RV doctor :-/

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
Randy,
One word of caution, if you take your coach to a RV repair shop, be certain that they know how to repair the Hurricane heater. The Hurricane is a totally different heater than the Aqua-Hot and has entirely different service needs.

Many RV mechanics do not know the Hurricane system, and they will throw new parts at it, until it works, running up the cost of repairs much higher than necessary.

Gerald
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:03:00 PM by 14 »

Randy Perry

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:56 AM »
Thanks again for the tip Gerald!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
Randy, the burner maintenance seems pretty straightforward (according to the manual) and looks like a simple DIY job.  You might want to give it a go before having a repair facility tear into it.  I pulled the access plate off ours just out of curiosity and every thing is easy to get to.

JimDyer

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
If there is no Aquahot certified tech in your area, and you aren't intersted in learning about the exciting field of oil burner maintenance, I'd look around town for somebody who services oil-fired equipment such as furnaces. A furnace oil dealer should be able to point you to one. Mechanically the burner system is pretty simple, just a pump, a filter, a valve or two and a nozzle. The electrical side is more complex as it has defined sequences of starting and stopping the fan, the oil, and the spark for safety.

But normally a sudden change where it still burns means that a bit of dirt has clogged the orifices in the nozzle disrupting the pattern of oil spray, so that you're not getting full combustion. Usually a nozzle replacement and vacuuming out the combustion chamber will solve that proble. But the first thing I'd check is your batteries. The burner fan works on 12v and if your batteries get down the fan speed will drop and then you'll get soot. It can also lead to melting of the aluminium chamber liner which is expensive, but there is a voltage checker built into the circuit, so it shouldn't be a problem. Another possibility is if it hasn't had any maintenance for several years, the chamber could get cruddy enough to cause this.

Ask if you get into it and get stuck.

Jim

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
Mine in the past will require bleeding the air out of the system. I called ITR many times after I bought our coach and they are very helpful and there is no cost other than the phone call.

The number is 1-800-993-4402.

Have fun,
Tom

Randy Perry

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Thanks Dick, Jim & Tom for more tips. I may look into myself before calling anybody!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:06:05 AM »
Randy,
If you have any problem with repairing the Hurricane heater, Feel free to call me for any help with the repairs.

Gerald
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:06:12 AM by 14 »