Author Topic: 1997 Beaver Patriot 37' - Battery question  (Read 1312 times)

Giovanni Bosch

• BAC Member
1997 Beaver Patriot 37' - Battery question
« on: November 11, 2023, 02:48:33 AM »
Just bought my first Beaver on a whim and love it!! I just joined this group and have tried to search for the answers before asking a question so please bear with me.

The rig has just under 80K miles and I saw it and bought it on the same day and drove it back to Houston from Colorado Springs, she made it. I just wanted to the powertrain to be solid and it seems to be.
Chassis
This is my first Class A. The Chassis batteries look like they will explode soon so i want to change them tomorrow 11/11/2023. I am told it has to be group 31 and has to have minimum 900CC but some are talking about AMG or Flooded batteries that I know nothing about. Why are they asking me if i need posts or screw terminals on the battery? I plan on buying them from a Battery store here in Houston tomorrow and cleaning the old ones out and trying to add some Dextron 4 to the jack actuator if I can figure out how.
House
I think I am not sure if I have 4 or 6 - 6v batteries, they seem to be in good shape but well see tomorrow when I check the volts. Is it possible to add 2x (or 3 if i have 6) 12V Lithium Deep Cycle batteries? or is there some benifit to keeping them at 6V batteries each?

Is there anything else in the electrical system that i should know about before changing the batteries? i know zero about this rig, the people i bought it from never transferred the title into their name.
97 Patriot
CAT 3126

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: 1997 Beaver Patriot 37' - Battery question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 05:07:31 AM »
Giovanni,
Welcome to the BAC Forum and RVing in general. Batteries are the heart of your coach so it is important to get them right. Most important: Take a picture of both sets of batteries BEFORE disconnecting any cables. I also strongly recommend drawing a diagram of the cable hook up and labeling each end of each cable so you are sure you can replace them exactly as they were originally. I would also recommend applying a baking soda and water mix to each cable end to remove any corrosion. I immerse the ends in the solution to ensure it attacks any corrosion inside the cable terminal. After cleaning and attaching the cables, apply a battery corrosion protector, available at all auto parts stores. Again, Be Sure to get the hook up correct as an incorrect hookup can cause multiple electrical issues that can take many hours to track down.

Your batteries are most likely lead acid flooded post style (the cable terminal fits over/around the post). IMHO lithium are extremely expensive and will probably outlive your coach. AMG batteries are also pricey and, assuming you take care of your standard flooded batteries, are not really cost effective. Your battery set should last 5-7 years with normal maintenance (checking water level).

Your coach probably has 2 chassis batteries and 4 house batteries. The chassis batteries are 12 volt, probably 900 to 1000 CCA each and hooked up in parallel (2 negative terminals tied together and 2 positive terminals tied together) giving you 12V and 2000 CCA (cold cranking amps). The house batteries are 6 volt (golf cart batteries), 200+ AH(amp hours). They are hooked up in a parallel/series configuration. 2 each are hooked up in parallel yielding 2 banks at 6 volts and 400+ Ahs. Then the 2 parallel sets are hooked in series so the coach sees 12 volts at 400 AHs.
Hope this helps.
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Giovanni Bosch

• BAC Member
Re: 1997 Beaver Patriot 37' - Battery question
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »
Yes it did thank you very much for taking the time to explain it in details!!
97 Patriot
CAT 3126